Unhappy Unanswered: Insert a picture in Form

Hi! I'm working with a telephone list at work and I would like to insert link to pictures in the Form. When someone search for the Logistic manager, they should get detailed information, also a picture of the person.

How can I write this in Access 97?

The picture will change after which person you search (activate).

Hope someone knows/will help!

Håvar, Norway.

Re: Insert a picture in Form

Do you have the Northwind Sample Database, because this has an example of what i think you are describing. Try taking a look at that.
    em.xx

Originally posted by hkvalbei
    Hi! I'm working with a telephone list at work and I would like to insert link to pictures in the Form. When someone search for the Logistic manager, they should get detailed information, also a picture of the person.

How can I write this in Access 97?

The picture will change after which person you search (activate).

Hope someone knows/will help!

Håvar, Norway.

Hi!

Thanks for quick reply!

I don't have the samples... IKEA is installing clients and the samples is taken away when installing.

Br

Håvar

Ahh. I only have the xp version, so i can't send it to you either. I'll have a look at the example and get back to you.
    I think you have to save the pic as an OLE Object in the table and then you can call it up in a pic box. But it's been a while since I've done anything like that.

Hi!

Thanks for quick reply!

I don't have the samples... IKEA is installing clients and the samples is taken away when installing.

Br

Håvar

Hi!

Thanx for all help!!!

Br

Håvar

Have a nice WEEKEND!!!

Yes, I was right.
    If you go into the table you want to assign the picture to (i'm guessing it will be your employees table or something) and create a new field. In the data type select OLE object.
    To add the pictue to the tableright click and select insert object. then you can either create a new picture or click creat from file and then you can browse to find the image you want.
    Then if you put a picture box on the form, you can set it's data source as the attribute of that table.

hope that helps. em.xx

Hi!

Thanx for all help!!!

Br

Håvar

Have a nice WEEKEND!!!

Havar,

Sorry my keyboard doesn't do nice Norwegian characters. But hold up.

You don't want to store the images in a table. First, I believe Access will only accept images in a bitmap format. Second, Access stores images in a very inefficient manner.

What you should do is link the image view control to the image. Then just store the image name in a table, or the image name and the path. The following code may help demonstrate what to do (it is from the form's On Current event):

Dim strPathThumbnail as string
    Dim strThumbnail as string

'variable equal to imageID from current record
    strThumbnail = Me.txtImageID

'concatenate paths to images corresponding to ImageID
    strPathThumbnail = "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\My Documents\Photos\PhotosScanned\" & strThumbnail & ".tif"

'determines if path is valid (returns true)
    ValidPathThumbnail = Len(Dir$(strPathThumbnail, vbNormal)) > 0

If ValidPathThumbnail = False Then
    'use blank or dummy image
    Me.imgThumbnail.DataField = "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\My Documents\Photos\PhotosScanned\blank.bmp"
    Else
    Me.imgThumbnail.DataField = strPathThumbnail
    End If

Cheers,
    Zambezibill

I have Northwind.mdb but I could not find the path of the photos of Employees there as well Category