Unanswered: error message: The text, ntext, or image data type cannot be selected as DISTINCT.

I want to use For XML Explicit to get well-formatted XML from database. Everytime if I tried to select something in DB whose datatype is text, error message came out: The text, ntext, or image data type cannot be selected as DISTINCT.

I tried to change data type from text to varchar and set size to 8000, but result in query analyzer is weird---xml is not complete(cut in the middle).

I wonder if anyone here could help me out with this problem. Your reply will be highly appreciated!

Thanks

Re: error message: The text, ntext, or image data type cannot be selected as DISTINCT.

Query Analyzer will not return complete fields beyond a certain length (even in "results in text" mode). The only way I know of to overcome this limitation is to:

Code:
    Declare @Foo varchar(8000)

SELECT @Foo = TextColumn FROM MyTable

PRINT @Foo
    You can also use VB, VBScript or VBA and use the Debug.Print functionality (or write the results to a file).

Regards,

Hugh Scott

Originally posted by heidil90
    I want to use For XML Explicit to get well-formatted XML from database. Everytime if I tried to select something in DB whose datatype is text, error message came out: The text, ntext, or image data type cannot be selected as DISTINCT.

I tried to change data type from text to varchar and set size to 8000, but result in query analyzer is weird---xml is not complete(cut in the middle).

I wonder if anyone here could help me out with this problem. Your reply will be highly appreciated!

Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks so much for helping me! Yesterday I figured out how to show the complete XML in Microsoft Internet Explore by running the utility configure SQL server XML support in IIS.

I am still wondering why I use CDATA directive in my FOR XML EXPLICIT for a field that has a text datatype can work in the first level of hierarchy, but not in the second or third level of hierarchy. Do you have any idea? Thanks in advance!

OK version:
    select 1 as tag,
    null as parent,
    Employees.EmployeeID as [Employee!1!EmployeeID],
    Employees.Notes as [Employee!1!!CDATA]
    from Employees

for xml explicit
    Query batch completed.

=================================
    ==================================
    wrong version:

select 1 as tag,
    null as parent,
    Employees.EmployeeID as [Employee!1!EmployeeID],
    null as [Employee!2!!CDATA]
    from Employees

union

select 2,1,
    null,
    Employees.Notes

from Employees
    for xml explicit
    Server: Msg 8163, Level 16, State 4, Line 1
    The text, ntext, or image data type cannot be selected as DISTINCT.