Unhappy Unanswered: mysql refuses to start

I am running mysqld-nt.exe on my .net enterprise server. Today, i restarted the server, and the little traffic light in my taskbar (WinMySQLadmin) was red, so i opened it, and it couldnt connect to my server, so i checked task manager, and sure enough, it wasnt running, so i tried opening it, it brought up the command window, which after about 15 seconds disapeared (which i think is a little long) no message flashed in the command window, and the process still wasnt running, i tried deleting my my.cfg and uninstalling, then re-installing, and it still doesnt work, and it hasnt created another my.cfg file.

I really need this to work again, as my webpage, my clan webpage, my half-life mod website and counter-strike server are all extremely dependant on my mysql server...

please help
    thanx,
    Mr.Big

Provided Answers: 1

Re: mysql refuses to start

Originally posted by Mr.Big
    I am running mysqld-nt.exe on my .net enterprise server. Today, i restarted the server, and the little traffic light in my taskbar (WinMySQLadmin) was red, so i opened it, and it couldnt connect to my server, so i checked task manager, and sure enough, it wasnt running, so i tried opening it, it brought up the command window, which after about 15 seconds disapeared (which i think is a little long) no message flashed in the command window, and the process still wasnt running, i tried deleting my my.cfg and uninstalling, then re-installing, and it still doesnt work, and it hasnt created another my.cfg file.

I really need this to work again, as my webpage, my clan webpage, my half-life mod website and counter-strike server are all extremely dependant on my mysql server...

please help
    thanx,
    Mr.Big
    Check in your MySQL/data directory for the file mysql.err

Should give you a hint on what's going wrong at startup.

Hope this helps

Take one of the my.cnf samples from the distribution and put it in C:\
    I've seen many problems because of missing this step.
    Edit the file (Just some paths need to be entered) and exec mysqld-nt --install from the mysql-bin directory.

net start mysql starts it, net stop mysql - guess what - stops it.

All from memory and I don't use Windows personally, but since I've done it a thousand times it should work this way.

well, there isnt a .err file in my new mysql directory, and i tried the .cnf files, tried writing my own, i tried writing another my.ini file (i know u only need one or the other) nothing has worked...

there was however a .err file in the old mysql directory, i suppose it could be from this issue because i was using that installation when it stopped working, but it could also be from anytime in the past 3 months.

InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
    030125 23:44:00 InnoDB: Log file .\ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to be created
    InnoDB: Setting log file .\ib_logfile1 size to 5 MB
    InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
    InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer not found: creating new
    C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-max-nt.exe: ready for connections
    InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer created
    InnoDB: Creating foreign key constraint system tables
    InnoDB: Foreign key constraint system tables created
    030125 23:44:11 InnoDB: Started
    c:\mysql\bin\mysqld-max-nt: ready for connections
    030125 23:52:54 InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
    InnoDB: Starting recovery from log files...
    InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
    InnoDB: log sequence number 0 43892
    InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 43892
    030125 23:52:55 InnoDB: Flushing modified pages from the buffer pool...
    030125 23:52:55 InnoDB: Started
    MySql: ready for connections
    030125 23:59:05 InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
    030125 23:59:05 InnoDB: Flushing modified pages from the buffer pool...
    030125 23:59:05 InnoDB: Started
    MySql: ready for connections
    030126 0:16:33 InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
    030126 0:16:35 InnoDB: Flushing modified pages from the buffer pool...
    030126 0:16:35 InnoDB: Started
    030127 11:40:01 MySql: Normal shutdown

ive checked the ib logs, one is empty, and one has unrecoznizable characters...

thanx for your replies

Mr.Big

somebody please help me, i desperately need mySQL to work

MySQL on Windows

What is the exact problem and what are you trying to do that doesn't work?

Is the MySQL server started as a Win service or you start it manually?

did you try copy all of your tables in ....mysql/data folder, uninstall mysql, delete everything related to mysql that may remain after un-installation then re-insall mysql again from nothing, get it to run normally and finally copy back your tables from backup to ...mysql/data folder

if it will still not work, something may happen to your .net system, not that of mysql. fix it first before blaming mysql

hope this helps you. pls get back if you are successful

gooooooooood luck...

i have done a complete reinstall of the OS, completely removed all mysql related stuff, re-installed, and even with a completely fresh installation it wont start.

"What is the exact problem and what are you trying to do that doesn't work?

Is the MySQL server started as a Win service or you start it manually?"

I am trying to start mysqld_nt.exe that is all. It will not start up as a service, nor will it start if i double click it.

Mr.Big

i have done a complete reinstall of the OS, completely removed all mysql related stuff, re-installed, and even with a completely fresh installation it wont start.

"What is the exact problem and what are you trying to do that doesn't work?

Is the MySQL server started as a Win service or you start it manually?"

I am trying to start mysqld_nt.exe that is all. It will not start up as a service, nor will it start if i double click it.

Mr.Big
    Okay, can you try the following:

1-Edit one of the .cnf files to suit your setup and copy it in your C: root.
    2-Open a Windows Command Prompt and change directory so that you current directory becomes the directory where mysql.exe is located

3-Delete the file mysql.err (located in /data directory)
    4-Execute the following: mysqld --user=yourUserName --password=YourPassword

5-Execute: mysql --user=yourUserName --password=YourPassword

Can you connect?
    Any error message?
    What does your mysql.err show?

BTW, this test would be a lot easier if you would just not use InnoDb. Try to make the server start first and once this works, we can work out the InnoDb options and setup easier.

Something I experienced when first using innodb tables is the fact that the server will appear to not have started while it creates the inno files. The larger the files, the longer this process will take!

Cheers,
    BDKR

ok, did all that and it started the service with no .err file, but... it still wont start at boot or when i double click it... i need this to be automated

Mr.Big

ok, did all that and it started the service with no .err file, but... it still wont start at boot or when i double click it... i need this to be automated

Mr.Big
    Stop double-clicking and start it as I described previously from a COMMAND WINDOW! Double-clicking is NOT the same thing as executing a command! A few windows apps are known not to behave the same way when they are started from a prompt and "double clicked".

Based on looking at the provided err files, the system is starting up correctly. There is nothing in there that denotes some sort of failure to operate based on in-correct configuration. I do see "InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally." a couple of times. This seems to tell me that things are starting up correctly but not being shut off correctly.

Is there a chance that it's starting and you're not sure what to look for?

If typing in mysql from a prompt doesn't work (it may be due to the mysql client executable not being in the path), try using netstat to tell you if mysql is running.

Cheers,
    BDKR

that was the log from my old server, the new server made no logs, no it was not starting... and yes i would prefer it was double-clickable like it has been since i started using mysql a year ago, but it wont seem to work without the user being immediately specified via the command line... i edited the registry and removed the mysql-shareware service *what the hell is mysql-shareware* and replaced it with mysql-nt i still havent restarted the server to see if it worked, but even if it doesnt ill just start it up the way bstjean suggested...

thanx for the suggestions,

Mr.Big
    btw come visit my site: http://www.mr-big.tk