Thread: logical logs

Unanswered: logical logs

Hi,

To get better performance it is good idea to have the logical logs on the rootdbs or on a different dbspace?

Thanks
    Ravindra

Re: logical logs

It is best to have them on a different dbspace altogether ... in fact, a separate dbspace for the logs for themselves is the way to go.

I already have about 7 logical log files on the rootdbs.Should I drop all these logical logs and then recreate then on a new dbspace.Will this not cause and problem?

Re: logical logs

Here is what I believe is the correct way to do it, but I hope a guru steps in and speaks up so I don't mislead you...

First, create a new chunk and designate it for your logs, then create the logs (using onparams -a -d logdbs -s size if you want)...

Second, do a system archive to activate the new logs (ontape -s)...

Third, move the current log to one of the new logs (use onmode -l if you want, repeating until the current log is one of the new logs)...

Fourth, perform a checkpoint in the current log (use onmode -c if you want)...

Fifth, delete the original logs in the rootdbs (use onparams -d -l logid if you want, repeating until the original logs have been deleted)

I think that is it...

However, if I were you and don't want to take the chance of screwing up anything, I'd wait for more replies on your post from more experienced informix dba's...

Re

for better performance you can add dbspaces for logical log more than one eg 2. and add logical log in serrate way for ex. there are 2 logdbspaces ,
    onparams -a -d logdbs1 -s 20000 and
    onparams -a -d logdbs2 -s 20000
    onparams -a -d logdbs1 -s 20000
    onparams -a -d logdbs2 -s 20000 ... and so on
    so if you add them in this way, the I/Os are paralell for write and read(backup logical log)