Unhappy Unanswered: Multiple update problem with form/subform

I have a master form and subform problem. Both master and subform have the same underlying query. All the fields on the subform are from only one table - the master has two fields from the same table as the subform and another three fields from two other tables.

My problem is that as soon as I enter data into the master it updates the table with a new record. When I enter the data into the subform it ALSO makes a new record. If I make any of the fields "Required" I get the hated bonging sound. Right now, every time I make an entry I get two half completed records.

My question is - how can I stop the master form updating until AFTER I have entered data into the subform?

Thanks

Ron Frend

Re: Multiple update problem with form/subform

Originally posted by ronfrend
    I have a master form and subform problem. Both master and subform have the same underlying query. All the fields on the subform are from only one table - the master has two fields from the same table as the subform and another three fields from two other tables.

My problem is that as soon as I enter data into the master it updates the table with a new record. When I enter the data into the subform it ALSO makes a new record. If I make any of the fields "Required" I get the hated bonging sound. Right now, every time I make an entry I get two half completed records.

My question is - how can I stop the master form updating until AFTER I have entered data into the subform?

Thanks

Ron Frend
    Are the fields on the subform and main form from the same table?
    Mona

I see in your post that you have fields in your subform that are from the same table as your master form, and that the subform has three fields from 2 other tables. Could you please tell us the reason the fields from that first table are not on the master form? In other words, is there a business requirement that dictates that?

Originally posted by Maia
    I see in your post that you have fields in your subform that are from the same table as your master form, and that the subform has three fields from 2 other tables. Could you please tell us the reason the fields from that first table are not on the master form? In other words, is there a business requirement that dictates that?
    Yes. The project is a breakdown reporting system. The requirement is that in the master form we have fields for area, zone and station and in the subform we need to be able to "batch input" as quickly and as easily as possible data about the equipment and specific breakdown.

In the meantime I have made a form with AutoFillIn to copy all fields from the previous record - but that is just a stop gap fix.

From their questions, Maia and Mona suspect either a table normalization problem or a misconception on form-subfrom relationships. Your answers seem to confirm this.

A search through the archives from the past few months for comments on normalization will give you some info, so I won't be redundant. But the trouble with table design difficulties is that everything else follows and becomes more problematic.

However, from your description of the need "to 'batch input' as quickly and as easily as possible data about the equipment and specific breakdown. ", I see no reason to maintain fields from the "Master table" in the subform. And you shouldn't be using the same query for the form and subform.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tisings, but I think you are backing yourself into a difficult corner.

Cheers,
    Zambezibill