Unanswered: Purge Oracle Database to Default?

Hey everyone. I've been trying unsuccessfully to install WebSphere AppServer and Portal Server (4.0.4 and 4.2, respectively) with Oracle 9i on a Solaris 8 system using iPlanet directory server (5.1). I have tried reinstallation several times, but I think the Oracle database has lots of old junk that is causing problems (uninstallation of WPS/WAS failed so some tables are remaining). Oracle is a real pain in the ass compared to MySQL in terms of simplicity, so I can't just simply delete a "WPS" database like something that could be done with MySQL.

My question is: how can I purge the Oracle database back to its default, fresh configuration? I want everything gone, and a clean slate, without having to reinstall the whole damn thing. Is there a way to remove all databases/tables added to the system since its birth? It's only a week or two old so there's not much, but I want everything eradicated.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Purge Oracle Database to Default?

Originally posted by mcs37
    Hey everyone. I've been trying unsuccessfully to install WebSphere AppServer and Portal Server (4.0.4 and 4.2, respectively) with Oracle 9i on a Solaris 8 system using iPlanet directory server (5.1). I have tried reinstallation several times, but I think the Oracle database has lots of old junk that is causing problems (uninstallation of WPS/WAS failed so some tables are remaining). Oracle is a real pain in the ass compared to MySQL in terms of simplicity, so I can't just simply delete a "WPS" database like something that could be done with MySQL.

My question is: how can I purge the Oracle database back to its default, fresh configuration? I want everything gone, and a clean slate, without having to reinstall the whole damn thing. Is there a way to remove all databases/tables added to the system since its birth? It's only a week or two old so there's not much, but I want everything eradicated.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
    When you installed WebSphere the first time, you had to create some database users. These users owned the objects needed by WebSphere. To clean up the database, drop these users. It's a simple as "drop user WPS cascade;". One word of caution, don't drop any of the users needed by Oracle, especially sys and system. Drop only the users associated with the Websphere installation.

HTH,
    Patrick

Re: Purge Oracle Database to Default?

Originally posted by buckeye234
    When you installed WebSphere the first time, you had to create some database users. These users owned the objects needed by WebSphere. To clean up the database, drop these users. It's a simple as "drop user WPS cascade;". One word of caution, don't drop any of the users needed by Oracle, especially sys and system. Drop only the users associated with the Websphere installation.

HTH,
    Patrick
    Fantastic! I'll give that a whirl, and then start the whole process over again. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike