Unanswered: MDX File Support

Hi, I'm new to the DBase IV / XBase world. I would like to know how to create an MDX file? What is the importance of an MDX file? Is it optional to have a MDX file or is it mandatory? Thanks for the help.

Well let's see...

__________________________________________________ ________
    I would like to know how to create an MDX file? What is the importance of an MDX file? Is it optional to have a MDX file or is it mandatory?
    __________________________________________________ ________

A .mdx file in the xbase world is basically an index file with multiple fields indexed in it. Contrast this to an idx or ndx file, where just one field is indexed within it.

An mdx file can be very useful because it is opened and closed with the main data file, without having to explicity open the mdx file as well. And, any updates to the data are dynamically written to the mdx file indexes, so they are always ready to be used without having to rebuild any of the indexes.

It's been a while since I've worked with FoxPro, but I believe that an mdx file was automatically created by the database engine if you defined any indexes on the table you were creating.

Your dbase or foxpro documentation should explain this in some detail. If not, there are several good books that discuss the in's and out's of xbase stuff.

My only question, is why mess with xbase. You're much better off with VB and access... in my humble opinion.

Tim
    Tim