Unanswered: Database app recommendations

Hi guys,

Need some recommendations from anyone with any information regarding database programs out there.

Any help would be greatly app.

I am working for a charity organization dealing with palliative care service. Thus, I have no money or little money to play with.

I am currently in search of a database program to run a tracking marketing database. The use of this databse will be mainly be for recording of personal data, personal attributes, activities and contributions from donors, patients and volunteers.

I am hoping for a database with the following features:
    *At least 3 level of user security (some information maybe visible to one level but not to the next)
    *Free or very cheap for a charity organization (in australia)
    *Allows multiple access (4 simultanous accesses)
    *Allows creation of forms or forms via menus
    *Allows self moderation of the actual data (e.g change table structure, add rows, establish relationships and so on)
    *It would also be good if this database works in compatible with other programs

I realize Ms Access satisfies a lot of the above except the security function. However, I was told that Access was being slowly eliminated and replaced by Ms SQL server. SQL server is simply way too pricey for my current situation. Plus, I also need to keep the future in mind.

Maybe, there is a program that can manage the database with the above functions running in conjunction with Ms Access's database or rbase?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Any recommendations would be very helpful!

JACK

Jack -
    You didn't mention an operating system, but since you mention RBase and MSAccess, I assume its Windows.

Might I suggest you look at MYSQL (www.mysql.com)? No, it doesn't have "forms" but it (1) costs nothing, (2) works in a variety of o/s, (3) works well with vb front ends, like MSAccess, (4) works with PHP (web development), which is also free (5) works well in standalone, network and web environment, (6) handles many users (7) handles large volumes of data in large tables. I use a vb frontend to logon to an encrypted table which establishes menus and limits user-action.

Re: Database app recommendations

In the "not free- but cheap" category, you might take a look at a contact manager app called "GoldMine" ( www.frontange.com ). Rather than just a backend database, GoldMine is an extremely feature-rich contact manager that includes calendering, email, email mass-mailing with templates, Word merge templates (individual and mass merge), etc. Oh, yeah-- and it's a multi-user app.

FrontRange offers a significant discount to charitable organizations. If you plead your case to their regional sales manager for Australia, you might even talk them into a free copy.

thank you all!

Hi guys,

thanks for your help!

I'll have a look @ all the options i have a bit later down the track!

Thanks again!

JACK