View Poll Results: Do you prefer DB2 over Oracle?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 71.43%
  • No

2 28.57%

Question Unanswered: DB2 versus Oracle 9i? A real world comparison?

Hello!

I am currently in the process of writing up a feasibility document for IBM DB2 UDB. We are currently and Oracle shop and are migrating to 9i. Obviously, the main reason that we are looking towards IBM is cost. However, I want to get some peoples opinions as to why IBM is better than Oracle. Or vice versa, why Oracle is better than IBM.

I've searched the web and found a few white papers on this subject but it seems they are all commisioned by either IBM or Oracle. Seems a little biased to me.

What I'm interested in specifically is not so much the hard costs but rather the soft costs.

- Ease of installation?
    - Comparison of Administration duties?
    - Availability and robustness of administration tools?
    - Any gotchas?
    - Migration issues?

I appreciate any information any fellow DBAs have to offer. I'm not looking for solicitations from salespeople at this point though.

Thank you!
    -Jon Owen

and...

If you migrated from Oracle to DB2 would you please mind replying to this and stating why? (Aside for reasons of $$)?

Thank you.

As far ORACLE or DB2 which is best depends on whole bunch of factors.
    Definately DB2 saves lots of money when compared to Oracle.
    The architecure of UDB DB2 (open systems) is not as robust as ORACLE.
    You Get what you pay for ......
    DB2 on Mainframe is robust but not UDB on Unix.
    If your application is Nasty(which can create problems like hanging) then Oracle will handle much better than DB2.
    DB2 can be brought down by application but Oracle can kick the application process which is troublesome to database.
    Oracle optimizer is better than DB2.
    Setting up a Database in DB2 is easier than ORACLE

Hello Koganti,
    Can You explain how Oracle optimizer is better than DB2 Optimizer?
    Thanks

You have hints in ORACLE to tell optimizer to use indexes.
    DB2 optimizer decides when to use indexes and there is no way you can tell optizer to use a perticular index

mmm ... DB2 or Oracle ? This is one which is discussed more than once in almost every newsgroup on DB2/Oracle available on the internet ... Till date, I have not seen a definitive answer, for obvious reasons ...

Oracle forums, vote Oracle to be their recommended database and DB2 forums vote for DB2 ...

I'll recommend that you search comp.databases.ibm-db2 and comp.databases.oracle for more discussions(if u want to read the technical pros and cons) ...

I'll rate DB2's optimizer to be a step ahead of Oracle's

Cheers

Sathyaram

Re: DB2 versus Oracle 9i? A real world comparison?

I think DB2 is easy to administer than Oracle. It's architecture is much easier to understand than Oracle (rollback, undo and all that waste). With newer versions the differece is apparent. DB2 is becoming more self managing and it's integration with web is amazing.

dollar

How does DB2 handle heinous SQL?

Can anyone else validate what koganti has said in this post?

How does DB2 handle heinous SQL queries? What about locking conditions?

We have about 60 applications running on the same database so we run into a lot of situations were we have conflict.

Provided Answers: 1

Re: How does DB2 handle heinous SQL?

Originally posted by jowen
    Can anyone else validate what koganti has said in this post?

How does DB2 handle heinous SQL queries? What about locking conditions?

We have about 60 applications running on the same database so we run into a lot of situations were we have conflict.
    Well, I know a way to "force" DB2 to use another index. You can look at the access plan of the query for every optimization level (0-9) and change the optimization level for that query (and then set it back to where it was).

Not as flexible as Oracle but it can be done. I don't know of any other way. But does that case happen often? And if your RDBMS doesn't use the proper index, it's probably because you need to run RUNSTAT to help it a bit! When a RDBMS doesn't use the proper index, 99% of the time it's because its stats aren't up to date.

As I said in the Oracle forum, DB2 can handle anything (just like Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase, etc.) as long as you give it proper hardware and resources. But DB2 consumes a lot less RAM than Oracle and it can take quite a heavy load, especially the EEE edition of DB2 UDB.