Question Unanswered: How do I find who modified a record?

A secured DB has been in use for some time. Users have their own login name and passwords. Is there any way to find out who has modified specific records by using the CurrentUser() function.

Unfortunately, I need to know this in retrospective. Currently there is no field attached to the records that stores the current user ID.

I guess I am asking for the impossible, however you guys may come up with some brilliant idea.

Thanks for your help
    Jazz

Re: How do I find who modified a record?

If your users are managing the data through a form, and you have already have a "user" field in the table data used in the form.....

create a text box controlled by that field and set its default value to "=CurrentUser()"

Originally posted by jazz novice
    A secured DB has been in use for some time. Users have their own login name and passwords. Is there any way to find out who has modified specific records by using the CurrentUser() function.

Unfortunately, I need to know this in retrospective. Currently there is no field attached to the records that stores the current user ID.

I guess I am asking for the impossible, however you guys may come up with some brilliant idea.

Thanks for your help
    Jazz

Re: How do I find who modified a record?

Originally posted by DanaDane
    If your users are managing the data through a form, and you have already have a "user" field in the table data used in the form.....

create a text box controlled by that field and set its default value to "=CurrentUser()"
    Thanks Dana,

the problem is that there is no field in the table tracking the user. Stupid me... In this case, even if I add such a field, it would track the user only for future data activities. Am I correct?

Since we are on this subject - now all records have a RecordId, which an AutoNumber. Is it better to have a current-date-and-time stamp as RecordId, so I can use it later to see exactly when a record has been modified or created. If so, how do you do this?

Thanks,
    Jazz

you can date/time stamp a record-add if you have a date field in the table with default value = now()

not sure if you would really want this to be your primary key - i can imagine pc clock errors coming up with the same now() for two different entries.

izy