Question Unanswered: large size of MDB

I have an MDB that is used as a reporting front-end to an oracle DB. For this reason it does not contain any data tables (except for one small table with 20 records).

The file size of the MDB is 27 Mb. Where is all this space being taken up? The file also contains approx
    100 linked tables,
    35 queries,
    17 simple forms with little code,
    23 reports with no code,
    2 code modules with a few hundred lines

The size is not a major issue, though I would like to understand what is taking up all the space, or is this just another example of MS bloatware.

Any ideas????

Re: large size of MDB

Hi,

I suppose you have already compressed your MDB. If not, check the file size after compression. Access seems not to release space of objects that have been deleted while developing, so you have to compress the MDB manually.
    The file size after compression will the minimal size... which is still big and doesn't mean it keeps its size forever: some of my access MDBs grow between 20 and 100 kb every time I start them, even if it's a pure front-end and no modifications are being made to its objects...

Has anyone noticed how much worse recent versions of Access are? Compacting does not seem to be as effective as it once was. Can anyone tell me the reason the size grows to such huge proportions? I presume it is the forms themselves mainly and the amount of wizards used?!

i've noticed that when access is linked to a table in another database it seens to hold a duplicate of the data in that table i don't know why when the db refreshes the data when you run the db but that seems to be the cause at least as far as i can puzzle it
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

I have compacted the thing as I know they have a habit of growing every time you use them, so it is the smallest it will go.

save a copy of the database remove the linked tables do a C&R and what is the size?

To expand a bit more on Conrad's reply: any number of objects may be created behind the scenes in the course of running VBA (recordset objects, query def objects, etc.), so some application bloat seems inevitable in versions currently being used.

However, compacting the database can be done relatively painlessly in A2K and A2002 versions. Going to the tools > options window you opt to compact the database automatically on close. And it can also be done externally on a timed basis, allowing for late night or after hours compacting.

Originally posted by zambezibill
    To expand a bit more on Conrad's reply: any number of objects may be created behind the scenes in the course of running VBA (recordset objects, query def objects, etc.), so some application bloat seems inevitable in versions currently being used.

However, compacting the database can be done relatively painlessly in A2K and A2002 versions. Going to the tools > options window you opt to compact the database automatically on close. And it can also be done externally on a timed basis, allowing for late night or after hours compacting.
    problem is there still seems to be a few problem with the C&R function. i've had DBs that refuses to compile sql that worked perfectly well before C&R