Unanswered: PL\SQL for db backup ?

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this issue. I am a newbie to Oracle so excuse my ignorance.
    I need some code that will run a backup of a database on a specific time. Say 1 am evey night. I don't want to lock the db during this process ..
    Any information would be appreciated...

Don't use PL/SQL for a DB backup, there's no need.

Oracle provides the Export 'exp' command utility and you would be better using RMAN and Enterprise Manager to schedule your overnight backup.

I'll assume Unix , why no use CRON to schedule an export of your Database overnight. At least this will mean you have some sort of Backup routine in place. Then use your time researching RMAN ( Recovery Manager) to get a decent Backup Policy in place.

PS: Vague(ish) question to vague(ish) answer !

Originally posted by thebap
    Don't use PL/SQL for a DB backup, there's no need.

Oracle provides the Export 'exp' command utility and you would be better using RMAN and Enterprise Manager to schedule your overnight backup.

I'll assume Unix , why no use CRON to schedule an export of your Database overnight. At least this will mean you have some sort of Backup routine in place. Then use your time researching RMAN ( Recovery Manager) to get a decent Backup Policy in place.

PS: Vague(ish) question to vague(ish) answer !
    Yikes. Do yourself a favor and don't use export/import for backup. Research the proper methods (RMAN included) and decide from there. You will feel safe with an export dump, but you probably won't be.

Do you have to repeat everything I say ?