Thread: Top 5 - Help!

Unhappy Unanswered: Top 5 - Help!

Hi,

I am trying to create a report which is filtered via a form. The form allows me to specify a product id from a combo box and when I click OK it show all of the associated orders in my report. This part is working fine but I would like to be able to only show the top five orders for each product using the quantity field as the criteria.

I know you can use Top 5 in a query but can anyone tell me how to do the same when the filter is being applied via a form first?!

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

C.

Re: Top 5 - Help!

Find the query on which your report is based (see the Recordsource property of the report). Open the query-builder in SQL-mode and add
    " TOP 5 " after the first word "SELECT". That should do it, even when applying a filter to the report.

You could try something like (put in report open event)

Me.RecordSource = "SELECT TOP 5 * FROM tbltest WHERE [ProductID] = " & forms![form name]![prodID field] & " ORDER BY ..."

This assumes product ID is a number. If it is text:

Me.RecordSource = "SELECT TOP 5 * FROM tbltest WHERE [ProductID] = '" & forms![form name]![prodID field] & "' ORDER BY ..."

(Added single quotes)

The form "form name" will need to be open when this codes runs.

Originally posted by bc301
    You could try something like (put in report open event)

Me.RecordSource = "SELECT TOP 5 * FROM tbltest WHERE [ProductID] = " & forms![form name]![prodID field] & " ORDER BY ..."

This assumes product ID is a number. If it is text:

Me.RecordSource = "SELECT TOP 5 * FROM tbltest WHERE [ProductID] = '" & forms![form name]![prodID field] & "' ORDER BY ..."

(Added single quotes)

The form "form name" will need to be open when this codes runs.

Cheers, that worked great. Thanks a million!!!
    C.