Unanswered: Help on syntax in passing value of the string variable

I would like to concatenate a string and pass a value of a string variable in the MsgBox but I¡¯m having trouble with the syntax in getting the value of the string

Dim strMsg As String
    Dim response As Integer
    Dim fldval As String

strMsg = "The Number of " & " & fldval & " & " is missing. Please enter a value." & Chr(10)

If (Not IsNull([Production Sheet Sub 1].Form![Part Number])) And IsNull([Production Sheet Sub 1].Form![Cycles]) Then
    fldval = "Cycles"

end if

Thank you.

Re: Help on syntax in passing value of the string variable

Please explain what you are trying to accomplish with this vba procedure. I am a little confused because you are writting a value to a string variable (fldval = "Cycles") but you don't seem to be utilizing it in your proc.

Re: Help on syntax in passing value of the string variable

Not sure what you are doing, but looks like you had a few extra quotes and &'s. This might work:

strMsg = "The Number of " & fldval & " is missing. Please enter a value." & Chr(10)

SQL string

I got the syntax working. However the SQL string won't give me the fldval("Cycles") where it is at. It displays "The Number of is missing. Please enter a value." If I place the same line of code after fldval = "Cycles" in IF statement it will give me the fldval.
    But I need the SQL string to be outside of the If statement so it can be reuseable. Is it somehow the fldval is not being passed?

This is my code:

Private Sub Production_Sheet_Sub_Exit(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim strMsg As String
    Dim response As Integer
    Dim fldval As String

strMsg = "The Number of " & fldval & " is missing. Please enter a value." & Chr(10)

If (Not IsNull(Me![Production Sheet Sub 1].Form![Part Number])) And IsNull(Me![Production Sheet Sub 1].Form![Cycles]) Then
    fldval = "Cycles"
    'strMsg = "The Number of " & fldval & " is missing. Please enter a value." & Chr(10)
    response = MsgBox(strMsg, vbYesNo)
    If response = vbYes Then
    'Me![Production Sheet Sub 1].Form![Cycles].SetFocus
    'DoCmd.GoToControl ("[Cycles]")
    End If

End If

End Sub

Thank you!!

Provided Answers: 1
    I'm quite a newbie at VB, so take my advice with caution hehe..

That said, have you considered declaring the var as a global? If I understand correctly, that would make it constant throught the statement...

Private Sub Production_Sheet_Sub_Exit(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim strMsg As String
    Dim response As Integer
    Dim fldval As String

'you set strMsg here, but fldval is empty: comment the above line

If (Not IsNull(Me![Production Sheet Sub 1].Form![Part Number])) And IsNull(Me![Production Sheet Sub 1].Form![Cycles]) Then
    fldval = "Cycles"
    'and uncomment the next line: fldval is now defined
    'strMsg = "The Number of " & fldval & " is missing. Please enter a value." & Chr(10)
    response = MsgBox(strMsg, vbYesNo)
    If response = vbYes Then
    'Me![Production Sheet Sub 1].Form![Cycles].SetFocus
    'DoCmd.GoToControl ("[Cycles]")
    End If

End If

End Sub

and if you want to use a var (fldval or whatever) elsewhere in this module, dim it at the top of the module (outside any sub/function). anything dimmed in a sub/function goes out of scope when the sub/function terminates

izy
    Last edited by izyrider; 03-27-03 at 03:06.

That makes lots of sense.
    Thanks guys!!