Unanswered: Opening files from within Access 2K

I have an application where the users would like to be able to store a \\path\filename on the network. Then, when selected, they could print this file, using the original program to handle the "work." This would be used with .doc, .xls, .pdf, etc.

I'm sure there is a way to mimic what is done in Explorer... you know, right click, select print, and let the file's associativity take over.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Re: Opening files from within Access 2K

Originally posted by RRepsher
    I have an application where the users would like to be able to store a \\path\filename on the network. Then, when selected, they could print this file, using the original program to handle the "work." This would be used with .doc, .xls, .pdf, etc.

I'm sure there is a way to mimic what is done in Explorer... you know, right click, select print, and let the file's associativity take over.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks
    You could do this using some programming... Would you be interested in a prgramming solution?
    Mona

Mona

I'm not adverse to getting my hands dirty, in fact I expected that would be the only solution.

Aim me in the right direction.

Rick

Originally posted by RRepsher
    Mona

I'm not adverse to getting my hands dirty, in fact I expected that would be the only solution.

Aim me in the right direction.

Rick
    Hi Rick

Attached is a database with the solution to open files. This is the simplest way to do it. There are other methods to tacke this, but I gathered that you are getting your hands dirty for the one of the first times, I chose the simplest code option for this.

If this works for you great. IF your table is not the same as what I have, by all means send me your table, and I can mod the code to fit to your table.

Copy everyting into c:\temp and run the database.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mona

Mona,

Sorry I gave you that opinion. Actually I have been programming in VB and VBA for quite some time... not that I am an expert

Thanks for the info.

Rick
    A good cook doesn't use a smoke alarm for a timer.

Mona,

I opened the app and I see what you are doing but... I'm not sure that is the route I want to take.

I don't think I want to use automation in Office because the user might be storing the path of ANY registered file type. They need Windows to do the opening and printing, as if you had right clicked on the file in Win Explorer, and then picked 'print'.

Thanks.

Rick
    A good cook doesn't use a smoke alarm for a timer.