Unanswered: Backup Help.....pleassseee

Firstly sorry for posting this in the SQL forum but no one replied in the Oracle one and I have always received help from here.
    If anyone could help it would be appreciated..

I am a newbie to Oracle so excuse my ignorance.I need some code that will run a backup of a database on a specific time to a local drive. Say 1 am evey night. I don't want to lock the db during this process ..
    Any information would be appreciated...

Re: Backup Help.....pleassseee

Originally posted by K12
    Firstly sorry for posting this in the SQL forum but no one replied in the Oracle one and I have always received help from here.
    If anyone could help it would be appreciated..

I am a newbie to Oracle so excuse my ignorance.I need some code that will run a backup of a database on a specific time to a local drive. Say 1 am evey night. I don't want to lock the db during this process ..
    Any information would be appreciated...
    Ok this is it:

Start your browser.

Go to google.com

give the keywords: Oracle backup script.

That's funny alright !
    I have done alright and have received information from Oracle on Backups and Restores. Just wondered if someone had a sample code to work from not a smart a** answer on google !
    Laughable alright, if you have nothing of value to add don't bother..

Thanks for nought

Originally posted by K12
    That's funny alright !
    I have done alright and have received information from Oracle on Backups and Restores. Just wondered if someone had a sample code to work from not a smart a** answer on google !
    Laughable alright, if you have nothing of value to add don't bother..

Thanks for nought
    Sorry if you didn't like my answer. You said you were a novice on Oracle stuff - you are asking scriptexamples in a MSS group. Appearently you don't know where to look for such stuff. Therefor my hint to use google, and then you will find the places yourself. Of course i can give you my list of webrescourse too, but hey, best service is selfservice
    Good luck in finding your way around....

Not to keep this thread running but you did states that I seem not to know where to look for things since I posted this info. (Oracle) in an MSS forum...if you read my inital thread correctly you would have seen "Firstly sorry for posting this in the SQL forum but no one replied in the Oracle one "
    I have plenty of examples on how to backup an Oracle db but none on how to back one up to my hard drive. I don't need the complex backups for large databases at all. AskTom on the Oracle site has provided me with all that info.
    Thanks anyway for replying at least, most don't. I am progressing thanks to Oracle.com TechNet now..
    Way more complicated than the simple SQL2k procedure !
    If that is good or bad it remains to be seen...

Cool

Originally posted by K12
    Not to keep this thread running but you did states that I seem not to know where to look for things since I posted this info. (Oracle) in an MSS forum...if you read my inital thread correctly you would have seen "Firstly sorry for posting this in the SQL forum but no one replied in the Oracle one "
    I have plenty of examples on how to backup an Oracle db but none on how to back one up to my hard drive. I don't need the complex backups for large databases at all. AskTom on the Oracle site has provided me with all that info.
    Thanks anyway for replying at least, most don't. I am progressing thanks to Oracle.com TechNet now..
    Way more complicated than the simple SQL2k procedure !
    If that is good or bad it remains to be seen...
    Hey Listen,
    I work with backups day in day out. I wouldnt mind helping you, but would need to know several things:-
    1. what OS and version of Oracle u are on.
    2. do u know what is RMAN? And how to use it?
    3. Backing up to Disk or Tape?
    4. Can you shutdown your database when u do the backup or not?

The rest will be easy

K12 -

Judging from your post, you want to script hot backups of your Oracle instance. In which case, you might want to take gindran's offer of help (above). The RMAN utility can be a little tricky, and as I'm sure you're discovering, hot backups in Oracle are unlike hot backups in SQL Server, Informix, etc. Of course, if you in fact can bring your instance down every now and then, and it's small (as you imply), then just do a cold backup every x number of days, and simply perform a logical backup nightly using Oracle's export utility (it's an excellent tool, it'll take you five minutes to learn, and it works). It'll take you about half an hour to script and schedule the whole thing.

Also, while technet and asktom are decent oracle resources, there is nothing that compares to metalink.oracle.com. You'll need a support identifier to access this site, which you can get from your admin people, or your Oracle contact. It is the first (and,usually, last) place to look for any Oracle answers.