Thread: Memo #Error

Unanswered: Memo #Error

In my Access 97 application, users sometimes get an error dialog when updating a memo field saying another user is updating the record. They are offered the choice to save to the clipboard or discard.

No matter what they choose (I think), they end up with the memo field showing #Error. Any attempt to access the field claims the record is being modified by another users--and does so for ever more.

In the past, it's been in tables specifically built for memos and I've deleted the record. This time around, it's a memo in my primary table, and the whole world links to it's autogenerated ID number.

What's going on? What's the fix?

Re: Memo #Error

I think the problem is that the Table in which ur trying to save the record is already open by the user. Make sure that Table is closed when you try to save that recordand hopefully u wont have any problems. I hope this helps.

It is already open--the main form shows numerous fields from the table, including a small text box showing the memo field. When the user clicks into the memo field, I pop-up a form to give the user a full screen view of the memo field.

It works--most of the time. And I can't imagine how I could record in the main form without huge repercussions. But I shall run off and do an experiment. What if I do a Refresh immediately before presenting the popup to ensure the record it receives isn't dirty?

Thanks, and wish me luck.

Sounds like it might work. Give it a shot..good luck

I'm having the same problem with my Access 2000 setup. My setup has a central DB with the table containing the memo field. THen I have local DBs on each client that accesses the central DB thru ADO. I have sporadic #error in my memo field in 1 specific table that I'm trying to figure out how it's happening ... Since all data manipulation is done local except for pulling data and writing of data what are the ways in which this corruption can occur?

- Mike

just a guess.
    can this be related to your record-locking scheme?

what error number are you getting (? 3260, 3197 ?)

...and maybe trap the error:

pxxxxxx yourSub()
    dim getInput as integer
    on error goto err_conflictHandler
    'here
    'is
    'your
    'code

exit_conflictHandler:
    'your tidy-up code goes here
    exit sub

err_conflictHandler:
    select case err.number
    case 3197
    'do something intelligent - someone has edited the record since you opened it, probably best is:
    msgbox "Record edited by another user: cancelling save", vbcritical, "Conflict!"
    resume exit_conflictHandler
    case 3260
    getInput = msgbox(err.description, vbretrycancel + vbcritical, "Conflict!")
    if getInput = vbretry then
    resume
    else
    msgbox "Cancelling save"
    endif
    case 3167
    msgbox "Record was deleted", vbcritical, "Cancelling save"
    case else
    msgbox err.number & " " & err.description, vbcritical, "Unanticipated Error"
    end sub

izy

Hi,

Same problem in 97. Backend, Frontend with 5 users.

Have tried everything to see if its operator using strange key strokes, network problems but unable to duplicate.

Like Ian, it's in the main table which has the autonumber that has links to many other tables so deleting the record causes major problems.

I like your idea of a seperate table for the memo field. Will implement that ASAP.

Thanks.