Unanswered: Sending a batch of e-mails

Is it possible to use DTS to send a batch of e-mails out based on a query condition?

I have a Users table with details such as UserName, EMail_Address, SendEmail etc. What I want is for my query to check the field called 'SendEmail' to see if it is True, and if so send a an email with an attachment to the email address in the field 'EMail_Address' for that person, and so on for every user in the table.

I don't have much experience with DTS and I've never used the Send Mail Task, so any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Sending a batch of e-mails

Originally posted by mikep72
    Is it possible to use DTS to send a batch of e-mails out based on a query condition?

I have a Users table with details such as UserName, EMail_Address, SendEmail etc. What I want is for my query to check the field called 'SendEmail' to see if it is True, and if so send a an email with an attachment to the email address in the field 'EMail_Address' for that person, and so on for every user in the table.

I don't have much experience with DTS and I've never used the Send Mail Task, so any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike
    Hello Mike.

I have recently worked on sending email from SQL but not as complicated as yours. Mine doesn't query on userID to select the recipients.

Found this on the web but not sure if it helps.

http://www.databasejournal.com/sqletc/print.php/1585201[/url]

All the best.

Best regards
    Teck Boon

why dont u try using xp_sendmail property available in sql server

pavan

I've managed to get around this by writing a VB module using CDONTS and running the exe through SQL Server.

Mike

when ur mail addresses r in a table and u r sending them by checking a condition the best option would be to use xp_sendmail with some condition with the required parameters and then send the mail.

1.create a temp table with required fields
    2.execute xp_sendmail using ur own stored proc.
    3.Mail Profile setting is rqd. to be done before doing this.(set them in control panel)
    4.start ur sql mail session.
    5.execute the proc.

I think there is no need to use CDONTS for this.

if any changes pl. inform me

regards
    pavan