Unanswered: Rman and Arcserv

I am having trouble getting rman to work on a remote server. The rman script does not seem able to find the tape drive which is on my rman arcserv server. I have installed the arcserv client agent + rman oracle agent on my client networked server. All these servers are NT servers. When I run an rman script on my arcserv server for the database that lives on there everything works fine. But when a similar script is run on the networked server for the database on the networked server the device sbt_tape cannot be found by the mml.

this is an expected behavior. The dedicated server process on the db-server is trying to open the mml-api. The rman-process on your client controls this process, but the rman-process don,t access the mml-api.

So, in your second scenario the mml-api-library is installed on your client. The oracle-server-process on your server is trying to access a mml-api-library, but there is no installation of this.

Hope this helps

regards jf

Thanks for the reply but this has confused me.

Is it possible for me to use rman to backup my database to tape on my networked server.

Remember I have two servers, server (a) has two instances 1 rman and 1 application instance. server (a) has a tape drive attached, server (a) has arcserv server installed.

On server (b) there is another application instance. Server (b) also has arcserv client - is this needed. I need to backup my database using rman on server (b).

How can I install the mml_api_library on my server (b), I am assuming that this will tel rman where the tape drive is.