Thread: parameters

Unanswered: parameters

Hi All,

I have a VB program in a MS Access module. The VBA takes 1 parameter, as in Function Fun(Parm as Long). Questions: How do I call this VBA from a DOS command? And what's the syntax?

I am a AS/400 programmer and I have to start a job from the 400 which calls a PC program to append records to a MS Access Data base. I have th VBA program working. I know to set up a Macro with a RunCode to call the VBA, but how to pass on the parameter to the Macro?

Thanks in advance

Dcheung

Re: parameters

You can start Access with a command line option (/cmd), then use the Command function to retrieve it inside Access (See help under command-line options)

I don't know if you can use Command function in a Macro, but you could place it in the VBA.

Thanks for you response. If the VBA doesn't require parameters I can do as below:

On the C: prompt I put something like C:\"C:\program files\......................\My Documents\Test.mdb" /x mymacro

where mymacro is a macro which contains RunCode to call the VB.

But how do I pass a parameter to the macro?

i've never tried it my self but you normaly put a space between the function and the parameter
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Put YourVBACode(Command()) in the 'Function' field of the RunCode line of the Macro, where YourVBACode is the name of the function you are calling in the macro.

Use following to start access:

msaccess.exe "databasename" /x "macroname" /cmd "parameter"

This will pass the parameter to the code. If you want to use the parameter in the macro, try 'Command()' where you want the parameter.

Thanks bc301.....works great!!