Unanswered: Oracle Install Problems

Hi everybody.
    I've installed on my machine (Win2000) an Oracle 9i client, to see my Oracle 8i Server. Then, I've un-installed that client, using the oracle installer, to install the Oracle 8i client. But it is not possible, now! When I insert the CD, I can see the first screen, but when I select to install the product, the screen goes down and nothing else happen...
    Some idea?
    Thanks

Did you remove everything including the JRE(Java) and the OUI ( Oracle Installer) .

Also, I'm sure there is a problem with P4's and Oracle , but as you didn't mention this information ....... ?????

Yes, I've removed everything about oracle, also its java.
    Actually I think there is nothing on my machine reguarding that client version. I've cleaned the registry too, searching the 'oracle' key.

What about the problem with P4's and Oracle?

Well ARE YOU ON A P4 ?

If so then you'll need to get onto the Oracle site and download the patch or it may well be a registry setting that has to be fiddled with ....

Seek and yee shall find .

PS: Next time u post , could you post more specific information !

There's nothing wrong with Oracle on a P4 but there is a problem with the Java Runtime Environment on P4's. The Oracle installer is Java based and hence some people encounter installation problems. It's well documented on the web - do a google for symcjit.dll / oracle and you'll find it and the workarounds.

In fact, this question arises so much I've done this....

http://www.billmagee.co.uk/oracle/p4inst/index.html

HTH
    Bill
    Last edited by billm; 03-27-03 at 10:53.

Smile

Detailed solutions how to install Oracle 8i/9i on Pentium 4 PC's are provided - Here and Here

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP - DBA

Smile Thank's!!!

Thank to everybody has helped me to find the solution. It was the P4 problem, I resolved everything copying my installation CD on disk and renaming the symcjit.dll file in .old file. After this installation worked!