Unanswered: Performance Testing Strategy/Metrics

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of developing the performance testing strategy for three different databases, all running on Sybase ASE 12.0. Can someone provide information on the following?

1. What performance metrics are gathered during testing (e.g response time, deadlocks, etc.)?

2. What is the best way of obtaining those metrics? Is it possible to obtain them w/o third party tools?

3. What specific activities are involved in obtaining those metrics?

4. What timeframe is to be considered (how long) in developing the schedule?

Your responses will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Re: Performance Testing Strategy/Metrics

Originally posted by maverickguy_1
    Hi everyone,

I am in the process of developing the performance testing strategy for three different databases, all running on Sybase ASE 12.0. Can someone provide information on the following?

1. What performance metrics are gathered during testing (e.g response time, deadlocks, etc.)?

2. What is the best way of obtaining those metrics? Is it possible to obtain them w/o third party tools?

3. What specific activities are involved in obtaining those metrics?

4. What timeframe is to be considered (how long) in developing the schedule?

Your responses will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Depends on what process you're testing. OLTP app? Response time might be appropriate. Multi-threaded batch process? Throughput and resource utilization might be more appropriate.

sp_sysmon, sniffer, reading the error log, etc.

Timeframe? Depends, I'm afraid. You haven't provided many details.