Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    98

    Unanswered: listener problem

    my test setup is as follows:

    win2000 box with oracle9i 9.2.0.1.0 with OEM
    solaris 8 box with oracle9i 9.2.0.1.0

    both databases were set up with no major problem, and i was able to discover the solaris db from OEM right after the solaris oracle installation.

    due to ip conflict i changed the ip of the solaris box, and now i could not discover the solaris node from OEM. I was able to ping/telnet to the new solaris ip with no problems, and i tried tnsping and it worked too.

    i restarted the solaris listener and db but i still couldn't manage the solaris db from my OEM.

    any suggestions?

    TIA

    Mark

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    98
    upon further testing...

    in OEM, i was still not able to automatically discover the node
    but after manual setup, i was still able to access my solaris database from OEM.

    i guess functionally i can accept it, but anyone has any idea on this annoying occurence?

    regards,

    Mark

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    482

    Smile

    Check the nslookup both forward and backward resolution has to be in place in order OEM to discover the node.

    You might also want to detele the $TNS_ADMIN/network/agent/*.q files. Check also the $TNS_ADMIN/network/admin - snmp_ro.ora and snmp_rw.ora file .


    Hope that helps,

    clio_usa
    OCP - DBA

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    98
    sorry but i am not familiar with nslookup
    from the man i can see it's some sort of server query program

    i typed in the ip address for the solaris box but couldn't find it in our domain.

    as for .q files, can you explain or give me a website on what those are?

    Thanks

    Mark

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    98
    still having problem with the agent....
    i double-checked the agent on both boxes, which are all running smoothly. I did find that the ip in tnsnames.ora for orasol is incorrect, so i changed it, but still couldn't automatically discover the node.

    can anyone offer me some directions on how to further troubleshoot this problem?

    tia

    Mark

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    482
    nslookup is tool for host names lookup. You can use it as:

    c:\>nslookup "hostname"
    c:\>nslookup "IP address"

    for example:

    C:\WINNT\system32>nslookup db1
    Server: nydns1.domain.com
    Address: 10.100.30.6

    Name: db1.domain.com
    Address: 10.100.62.58


    C:\WINNT\system32>nslookup 10.100.62.58
    Server: nydns1.domain.com
    Address: 10.100.30.6

    Name: db1.domain.com
    Address: 10.100.62.58


    Your DNS has to resolve both forward and backward the host.

    The *.q files are the queue files the agent creates when being discovered as a node from OEM. You want to make sure no old information is left over in these files, before trying to re-discover the node. That's all.


    Hope that helps,

    clio_usa - OCP - DBA


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •