Unanswered: Creating table with log in Informix Dynamic Server 9.3

Hi,

I am not able to create a database with transactional logging enabled in Informix Dynamic Server 9.3 on Windows 2k using DBAccess.

The query that I tried is:
    create database temp_db with log in "temp_db.log" mode ansi;

It gives me error message "325 : Filename must be specified with a full path name."

I tried to give full path also(including the drive and directory name), but I still get the same error.

Any idea where I may be going wrong? Can anyone point me as to how to create and start a database with transactional logging enabled?

Regards,
    Sumanto

Dear Sumanto,
    I created all the databases with log on an IDS 7.3 via the DBAccess-tool and the following syntax:

create database databasename in dbspacename with log;

where "dbspacename" is the name of the dbspace and not the filename. Did you create the dbsspace before?

Hope this will help you

Best regards
    Regina

Dear Regina,

Thanks for the post.

I was able to achieve transactional logging via the command:

"create database databasename with log mode ansi;"

I guess the dbspacename is not necessary if we are using the default dbspace.

But I still wonder if a explicit log file can be specified. And why it is giving such an error.

Regards,
    Sumanto

ah..the "temp_db.log" is the name of the logfile?

I looked for the error -325 in the documentation, it says:

Filename must be specified with a full path name.
    This error occurs if you attempt to create a table using the WITH LOG IN clause but do not specify a complete path to the log file. This error can also occur if you use INFORMIX-SE to create database logging but do not specify the full path of the log file. Make sure to specify a full pathname, including the name of the log file, where the log file will reside.

But it is really strange, untill now I thought, that it's not possible to dedicate a special logfile for a database. Informix has a pool of logfiles and manages these logfiles on it's own.

Maybe our "Guru" knows an answer...

Best regards
    Regina

The dbspacename you specified in your create database statement affects only the default location of the tables and the location of the catalog tables belonging to the specified database. Nothing to do with transaction logs.

If you create a 'Logged database' in IDS (7 and 9), you have to specify 'WITH LOG' in the create database statement. In that case IDS will use the predifined transaction logs, defined per IDS server. You can check see the logs with 'onstat -l'.

In SE, technology was different. SE is a C-Isam file based database. No dbspaces are defined, which means that evey table uses a seperate file. If you want to turn on logging in SE, you must specify 'WITH LOG IN <path+file>'. In that case SE would use this file for the transaction logs. These transaction logs were only used for COMMIT and ROLLBACK.
    No point in time restores were possible at that time.
    rws