Thread: Switch Logs

Unanswered: Switch Logs

Hi there,

is there a possibility to force a log switch on DB2/NT (7.2 FP8)?
    Does DB2 switch the log automatically when taking a backup? Or how do I ensure to save my logs when only using online backups?

Thx.

DB2 is not very good at log switching when you are about to ininiate Backup. You can make DB2 do log switching by executing ARCHIVE command before your take backup.This option is available from V7.2

If your logs are missing then you are pretty much screwed up . You may have to look for the last full backup you took.
    DB2 is very bad in handling the missing log files.

I hope this helps

Thank you for this information... not very good, since the /390-Version of DB2 can do all this, but I have to deal with those problems...
    Thanks, again.
    Originally posted by koganti
    DB2 is not very good at log switching when you are about to ininiate Backup. You can make DB2 do log switching by executing ARCHIVE command before your take backup.This option is available from V7.2

If your logs are missing then you are pretty much screwed up . You may have to look for the last full backup you took.
    DB2 is very bad in handling the missing log files.

I hope this helps

Re: Switch Logs

Originally posted by WizardOfGermany
    Hi there,

is there a possibility to force a log switch on DB2/NT (7.2 FP8)?
    Does DB2 switch the log automatically when taking a backup? Or how do I ensure to save my logs when only using online backups?

Thx.
    I have not worked on NT but on Unix, you can force a log switch by using the archive log for database...

Depending on the type of backup and the kind of logging specified for the database, DB2 will archive (switch) logs. If the database is set for circular logging, then backups have to be offline. The database can be backed up online if the database is in archivelog mode. There are two possibilities - db2 will truncate the log and archive it (default db2 behaviour) or you can setup the registry variable DB2_DISABLE_FLUSH_LOG to ON and then db2 will not archive the log before it starts backing up. But that's in Unix and I don't know if this information is applicable to NT.