Unanswered: Can anyone help this newbie??

This the the first time I am working with mySQL. I just created a database, and I created some tables for it. In my CREATE TABLE block, I have the FOREIGN KEY(column) REFERENCES table2(same_column) statement. However, I saw in the mySQL HTML manual (section 1.7.4.5) that these foreign key constraints are ignored if my tables are not of the type InnoDB table.

By the way, the manual often refers the InnoDB as the "first table type in MySQL". What does this mean?

How do I know what type of tables I have (by default)? How to I make them InnoDB type? Then, according to the manual (section 7.5.1), I have to do a bunch of modifications and configurations to certain files so that the mysql.exe client will support these tables. Is this right? Is it just me, or why the heck is MySQL so confusing, tedious and hard to use???

Thanks.

Re: Can anyone help this newbie??

Originally posted by lnong
    This the the first time I am working with mySQL. I just created a database, and I created some tables for it. In my CREATE TABLE block, I have the FOREIGN KEY(column) REFERENCES table2(same_column) statement. However, I saw in the mySQL HTML manual (section 1.7.4.5) that these foreign key constraints are ignored if my tables are not of the type InnoDB table.

By the way, the manual often refers the InnoDB as the "first table type in MySQL". What does this mean?

How do I know what type of tables I have (by default)? How to I make them InnoDB type? Then, according to the manual (section 7.5.1), I have to do a bunch of modifications and configurations to certain files so that the mysql.exe client will support these tables. Is this right? Is it just me, or why the heck is MySQL so confusing, tedious and hard to use???

Thanks.
    I have only just begun to work with InnoDB tables but here is some info on InnoDB.

Unless you have installed mySQL-MAX you can only build tables which are myISAM and will not utilize FKs. InnoDB tables are "Transactional" in that they are more robust and if you have a system crash (or other incident) they will perform a "rollback" using the log files to the last state where the database had completed updates inserts etc. You may not need them.

You must decide what level of stability you require, then use the correct version accordingly (mysql or mysql-max)

Look in you C:\mysql\bin directory (if you run windows) and you will see all the version available. you should also post your version number (such as 3.52) as well as platform type.

Hope this helps.

Re: Can anyone help this newbie??

Originally posted by lnong

Thanks.
    You have a couple of table types available to you if you are not using a MAX version or the newer 4.x versions that inno functionality included. By default, the table type is MyISAM. The others are ISAM, Merge, and Heap. Heap is cool if you are using temporary tables as they reside in memory as opposed to writing to disk.

You can see the table types of a db by using the mysqldump command with the -d switch.

For now, if you aren't sure of what the table types are, there is no need to worry about them. Just let mysql create the tables with the default type, which is MyISAM.

As for it being tough to work on, MySQL (with the possible exception of mSQL) is actually one of the easiest databases out there to work with. Postgres by comparison is a bit more cumbersome. Same with Sybase.

Hang in there! You'll get it figured out.

Cheers,
    BDKR