Lightbulb Unanswered: SQL Server Performance Condition Alerts

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up performance condition alerts for monitoring data file / log file growth etc. The action to be taken in the event of an alert needs to be triggered by firing a pre-defined job.

Can I pass a parameter to a job ? If so, how do I create such a job ?

The reason is, if I have 20 databases in my server and if I have to create 4 alerts (20 for data space and 20 for log space), I do not want to create 40 different jobs to send alert messages to me based on which alert has occurred. Instead, I want to create 1 job that will take in a parameter and fire some messages.

The use of Email/Pager eliminates this problem but unfortunately, our corporate standard for messaging is Lotus and hence I cannot have Outlook installed.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Sridhar
    Bujji

Lightbulb

Try doing the sp_add_alert and ap_add_jobstep stored procedures. I've read some on them, but have never actually used them directly through T-SQL.

Kael

Question

I am already using those procs to create the alert and the job. My problem is how to write a generic job that can be invoked from an alert with a parameter.
    Bujji

OIC. I was thinking there were input parameters you can use, but after looking at them in SQL BOL, I see that the one parameter is reserved. If I get any other ideas, I'll post them...

Kael