Unanswered: Copying databases on OpenVms

Is there anyone who had any problems when copying all the database files from 1 OpenVms system to another ? Of course using logicals for the file names so that they can be placed on another disk. And with a different version of OpenVms but not a different version of Sybase.

In my opinion this is allowed.

Has anyone had an official statement of Sybase saying it is supported or not ?

Hiya wimskie,

Device level backup and restore at the OS level is not something that Sybase has ever supported. The reason being this is done outside the control of ASE.

Having said that, just about everyone does it. You should contact Sybase Support to check if there are any specific issues related to Open VMS platform.

Cheers
    Willy

Thumbs up

Happy to hear that everyone does it. As I understand it, there is NOTHING against it, except when using things like raw devices, a thing that is not implemented on OpenVms.

But my real question is : is Sybase explicitly saying that it is unsupported ? And if so, where ? Because of the missing VMS knowledge in Belgium, it would be nice if someone could get an official answer.

In my opinion they must support it because otherwise that should make all full image backups worthless.

I have seen just too many problems with other ways of transporting databases (bcp, dumps, ...). And when transporting real time applications, the one thing you can miss are problems.

Of course, the same thing applies to Oracle. They also have a utility (export) that doesn't create objects in the same way as they were.

Thumbs up

Happy to hear that everyone does it. As I understand it, there is NOTHING against it, except when using things like raw devices, a thing that is not implemented on OpenVms.

But my real question is : is Sybase explicitly saying that it is unsupported ? And if so, where ? Because of the missing VMS knowledge in Belgium, it would be nice if someone could get an official answer.

In my opinion they must support it because otherwise that should make all full image backups worthless.

I have seen just too many problems with other ways of transporting databases (bcp, dumps, ...). And when transporting real time applications, the one thing you can miss are problems.

Of course, the same thing applies to Oracle. They also have a utility (export) that doesn't create objects in the same way as they were.