Post Unanswered: Cross platform replication (from solaris to linux) using dump and load

Hi,

Is it possible to replicate a (sybase) database on Solaris to sybase Linux using dump and load commands?? (sybase version is 12.5 on either of the platforms).

I can't 'bcp' the database to my linux machine for 2 reasons:
    1. Database is very huge.
    2. My Internet connection can't sustain till it finishes the copying.

Please help me out.

regards,
    Pradeep

Re: Cross platform replication (from solaris to linux) using dump and load

I mean replication of a sybase database from Solaris to sybase on Linux.

Is there any platform independant export functionality in Sybase, as we have in Oracle??

Originally posted by stratagium_here
    Hi,

Is it possible to replicate a (sybase) database on Solaris to sybase Linux using dump and load commands?? (sybase version is 12.5 on either of the platforms).

I can't 'bcp' the database to my linux machine for 2 reasons:
    1. Database is very huge.
    2. My Internet connection can't sustain till it finishes the copying.

Please help me out.

regards,
    Pradeep

Hiya Pradeep,

Are you trying to dump & Load or setup Replication between 2 ASE's(Solaris --> LINUX)?

You can setup Replication using Sybase Replication Server between ASE on Solaris to ASE on Linux and set that as Warm Standby.

Without using Replication Server, you could use 'sybmigrate' utility available in 12.5.0.3 onwards to migrate ASE cross platform.

Contact Sybase Support if you need more information.

Cheers
    Willy

Hi Willy,

My sybase version is 12.5.3.
    I dont see 'sybmigrate' or 'dataxtr' in my installation (i.e. in ASE/bin).

I'm trying to use BCP only, with the help of bash scripts (to automate database dumping and loading).

Thanks a lot for your timely reply and your concern.

best regards,
    Pradeep

Hiya,

In 12.5.0.3, got to $SYBASE\docs\newfunc.pf - Chapter 4.

Cheers
    Willy

Re: Cross platform replication (from solaris to linux) using dump and load

Assumption

Solaris is on a SPARC processor
    Linux is on an Intel x86 or similar

In this sceanario the answer is no for both ASE dump and load commands and binary bcp. This is because the SPARC and Intel CPUs represent multibyte values (int, shortint) differently. On SPARC the value of 256 is represeted as 0x0100. On an Intel platform this is 0x0001. SPARC is big endian and Intel is Little Endian. Refering to which byte comes first, either the Most Significant (SPARC) or Least Significant (Intel).

Sybase don't support copying binary data across platforms.

Character bcp may be used, but as you say this is not physically possible. Is is possible to compress the bcp files before transfering them.

You should be able to use Replication Server for this task, but you don't state whether that is available or not.

Proxy tables/database may be an option. Create a proxy database on the Linux based ASE and then create another database with the "select into/bulkcopy/pll sort" option swiched on and use select into to copy the data. I suspect this may also run into the same problem as bcp because of your ISP connection.