Question Unanswered: cascade delete fills transaction log

I know the topic of DELETE statements filling transaction logs has been discussed here in the past. Most of the time the answer is increasing the log file size, pumping the data to non loggging initially table, or importing/exporting the data to file.

I have not however seen any posts on cascade deletes. I have to delete several thousand records across over nearly one hundred tables of related data. Is there a way to turn transaction logging off to allow this to take place? Are there any other strategies to get this task to accomplished?

Any help is appreciated.

P. Alston

Cleanest way to deal with this problem is partitioning of the delete, for example do the deletes row-by-row and commit. Are you able to come up with a script that does just that?

In a fit of paranoia, I recommend checking the latest backup. This can't hurt anyway.

Johann

If you search this forum, there is a stored procedure code which deletes records one at a time using a cursor ...

I remember it was posted by a user name starting with brian

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

The post

http://dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=365661

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    If you search this forum, there is a stored procedure code which deletes records one at a time using a cursor ...

I remember it was posted by a user name starting with brian

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram