Unanswered: Insert performance

Hello.
    I'm trying to optimize a process that synchronizes some proprietary objects to a database. Currently, this synchronization is made via ADO by using SQL statements. There are two differents actions that are made: the first initialization is made by a lot of INSERTs into different tables and the second operation is inserting/updating/removing objects one by one when it has changed.
    Our objects are stored across multiple tables because they have a hierarchical structure.
    My question is about performance for the first operation : what is the best way to achieve multiple inserts across multiple tables in the shortest time. We actually use ADO and an INSERT statement for each row which is obviously not the preferred method. What about using OO4O or .net provider with array parameters, or sending the whole data to a stored procedure ?
    Thanks.

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Insert performance

Originally posted by gnt
    Hello.
    I'm trying to optimize a process that synchronizes some proprietary objects to a database. Currently, this synchronization is made via ADO by using SQL statements. There are two differents actions that are made: the first initialization is made by a lot of INSERTs into different tables and the second operation is inserting/updating/removing objects one by one when it has changed.
    Our objects are stored across multiple tables because they have a hierarchical structure.
    My question is about performance for the first operation : what is the best way to achieve multiple inserts across multiple tables in the shortest time. We actually use ADO and an INSERT statement for each row which is obviously not the preferred method. What about using OO4O or .net provider with array parameters, or sending the whole data to a stored procedure ?
    Thanks.
    Use a stored procedure for best performance AND to keep your database logic in the server as far as possible. Put the stored procedure in a package.