Unanswered: Splitting Field into Fields

Hey guys this is my first post and looks a pretty cool place and im hoping some of you could help me out.

Currently i have a database which is made up of exported files from our backend systems as a tab delimited files. These are cool and they get pretty much what i want but now i have a bit of a problem.

Each record has 5 fields but the last field has quite a bit of data in it which looks something like this

\Product Codes\2003 WEB CATALOGUE\Office Furniture\Filing Cabinets

The thing is i now need to split this up into new field for everything inbetween the \'s. There is no limit the the amount of records made from this field but 7 is proberly the most it ever gets too.

Has anyone got an suggestions to point me in the right way of doing this.

Thanks in advance

BigStu

Re: Splitting Field into Fields

Here is what I would do:
    1.Use the "InStr" function. This will return the position of one string whithin another. For example:

InStr("Product Codes\2003 WEB CATALOGUE\Office Furniture\Filing Cabinets" , "\")

=>will return 14.

2. When you found the position of \ then you can use the "Left" function that returns the left most characters of a string. For example:

Left("Product Codes\2003 WEB CATALOGUE\Office Furniture\Filing Cabinets", 14)

=>will return "Product Codes".

Hope this helps

Originally posted by bigstu
    Hey guys this is my first post and looks a pretty cool place and im hoping some of you could help me out.

Currently i have a database which is made up of exported files from our backend systems as a tab delimited files. These are cool and they get pretty much what i want but now i have a bit of a problem.

Each record has 5 fields but the last field has quite a bit of data in it which looks something like this

\Product Codes\2003 WEB CATALOGUE\Office Furniture\Filing Cabinets

The thing is i now need to split this up into new field for everything inbetween the \'s. There is no limit the the amount of records made from this field but 7 is proberly the most it ever gets too.

Has anyone got an suggestions to point me in the right way of doing this.

Thanks in advance

BigStu

cheers mate that will be cool i could us this but i need to get all the references between the slashes so that would get me the 1st how would i get the second is there any thing to make it skip the 1st or 2nd slash it come across

Bigstu

Hmmmm...

This is a bit of a workaround but...

If you export your field to a delimited textfile (with field delimiter set to "\" and Text Qualifier set to "None" and the re-import your textfile into a table with exactly the same settings you should get a table with as many columns as you need...

C

CCC your way is much better if you still have access to the original file.
    I thought BigStu doesn't have access to the original files.

If all I had was a table with the "/"s I would use the below query. I'm sure there are better ways

Say your table is table1 and your filed is called "field":

SELECT
    InStr([field],"\") AS P1,
    Left([field],[P1]) AS F1,
    Right([field],Len([field])-[P1]) AS R1,

InStr([R1],"\") AS P2,
    Left([R1],[P2]) AS F2,
    Right([r1],Len([R1])-[P2]) AS R2,

InStr([R2],"\") AS P3, Left([R2],[P3]) AS F3,
    Right([r2],Len([R2])-[P3]) AS R3

FROM Table1;

F1,F2 and F3 will be your fields.

You can repeat the above patters for F1 through Fn by replacing R's and P's with the same pattern.

Sia

Thank you very much that does exactly what i want.

Cheers

Stu