Unanswered: Can you force the datatype on a link or import?

I'm importing data from excel into access this data contains numbers and aplha numeric string so how do i stop access linking to the data and erroring on the apha numeric rows because it insistes the data is a number and will not let me tell it otherwise

i would perfer to link but will repeatedly import if i have to any ideas?
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Re: Can you force the datatype on a link or import?

I experienced that Access judges the data type on the first xxx rows it meets when importing or linking.
    So if you have the option to re-arrange your records in Excel to make it start with alphanumeric, Access will follow this line.

Other option:
    Create an empty table exactly like you need it, and do a repeated import, proceeded by a delete query if needed.

hth

Re: Can you force the datatype on a link or import?

Originally posted by marion
    I experienced that Access judges the data type on the first xxx rows it meets when importing or linking.
    So if you have the option to re-arrange your records in Excel to make it start with alphanumeric, Access will follow this line.

Other option:
    Create an empty table exactly like you need it, and do a repeated import, proceeded by a delete query if needed.

hth
    thanks thats what i though, i can't change the base table other wise it wouldn't excist in the first placeas it is nothing but a data store
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.