Question Unanswered: DB2 V8 - HOWTO create Linux container DMS

I'm new to DB2-Linux.
    I need to create several containers for Database Managed Tablespaces but can't find a clear definition of what a container truly is or how to create it properly.

Thank you for any insight you may have -
    Rick

Re: DB2 V8 - HOWTO create Linux container DMS

Containers are those physical entities of a tablespace, ie, a directory, file or raw device where data is physically stored ...

SMS Tablespaces can have only directory containers, where each table, index and long objects are stored as separate files

DMS Tablespaces can have a file or a raw device container and data is stored withing the file ...

Each tablespace can have multiple containers ....

It will be good to have multiple containers each on a different io device , so that I/O is parallel ... or for devices like IBM ESS, EMC etc, a single container will do as each disk(as you will call) is actually made of a number of disks and so parallel i/o will be possible (set the DB2_PARALLEL_IO parameter) ...

There is always and argument over whether to use file or raw device containers ... My vote is for raw devices, but there are people who argue that it does not matter to have file devices ...

You do not need to create containers, the create tablespace command will do it for you ... Have a look at the CREATE TABLESPACE COmmand in the SQL Reference

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by Rick-dba
    I'm new to DB2-Linux.
    I need to create several containers for Database Managed Tablespaces but can't find a clear definition of what a container truly is or how to create it properly.

Thank you for any insight you may have -
    Rick

I have created directories for SMS tablespaces -
    but I have a large amount of data to load into a new table and need to create DMS containers on RAID array of disks (so my indexes will be in a different space than my data).

Is there a specail way to create those files/containers?

Talking

I found it..... If all else fails, read the book (LOL@ME)
    Sorry for the inconvience - and thank you for your patience with me!

CREATE TABLESPACE....
    For a FILE container, the container-string must be an absolute or relative file name. The file name, if not absolute, is relative to the database directory.