Post Unanswered: CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): directory service layer

I am trying to start isql from the command line in a Sun Solaris 2.8 UNIX server. The version of Sybase is 12.0. The error message from the initial command execution is:
    CT-LIBRARY error:
    ct_connect(): directory service layer: internal directory control layer error: Requested server name not found.

I use the following syntax: isql -U(user) -c/ -s(Dataserver Name) -w999

I have not found any documentation related to this error that pertains to the UNIX server. I would appreciate any assistance.

Thank you,
    Randy

Re: CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): directory service layer

This error is generated when ISQL cannot find the database server name. Either it cannot find the interfaces file ($SYBASE/interfaces), the name of the supplied database server name is incorrect or the format of the interaces file is incorrect.

The Solaris version of ASE uses TLI to specify the ip address and port number. I'm not sure whether this holds true for the Solaris version of isql.

Originally posted by Rlowe47
    I am trying to start isql from the command line in a Sun Solaris 2.8 UNIX server. The version of Sybase is 12.0. The error message from the initial command execution is:
    CT-LIBRARY error:
    ct_connect(): directory service layer: internal directory control layer error: Requested server name not found.

I use the following syntax: isql -U(user) -c/ -s(Dataserver Name) -w999

I have not found any documentation related to this error that pertains to the UNIX server. I would appreciate any assistance.

Thank you,
    Randy
    ---
    Thank you Mr. Crossley for your information. I have checked the 'interfaces' file in the $SYBASE directory. The file does not appear to have any errors in the file. The file is available during 'startserver' proceedure. The file is available to the environment. The only difference is that I have an uppercase letter for the address instead of a lowercase letter in the file. This seems to be the only difference. How can we check the file type? How can we change the file type if needed? I would appreciate your assistance.

Thanks.

Randy,

The interfaces file can be in one of two formats; ip address & port number or tli. The two formats are instantly recognisable.

tli begins with 0x0002. The following number is the port number in hex and then the ip address.

tcp & port number is normally the host name, port or alternatively the ip address and port number.

The -s parameter for the server name, should in upper case "-S". I can't remember off the top of my head what the -c parameter is supposed to acheive. I'll need to go back home (in an internet cafe at the moment) and check it.

Using the -s instead of -S may be subsituting the $DSQUERY variable for the dataserver name.

The name of the file is always "interfaces", there is no "file type" as such.

Try specifying the server name in same case throughout. -S parameter in the RUN_server file, server name in the interfaces file and the -S parameter for isql. I have seen issues where the case of the server name has caused connection problems.

BTW, the name's Richard. "Mr Crossley" is only for formal occaisions

Hi,

use -S not -s

isql will recognize the server if it is there in interfaces and its ip and port numbers are correct.

cheers,
    db_mate