Unanswered: Search for files only

Hi,
    i have a directory say A which has a few files and may have directories say B,C as well. I want to list only the files from the A directory without the listing of directories B & C. Currently i am using "for the_file in `ls`".In this for loop i am doing i am taking each file and doing some processing. But with this even the unwanted directory name also comes in the listing.Can anyone help?

-Thnks
    RTAM

Re: Search for files only

Try using the find command.
    ie find . -type f -exec ls -l {} \;
    should list the files in the current directory in long format
    find . -type f -print
    just lists the file names. Check the man pages for other options.

Originally posted by RTAM
    Hi,
    i have a directory say A which has a few files and may have directories say B,C as well. I want to list only the files from the A directory without the listing of directories B & C. Currently i am using "for the_file in `ls`".In this for loop i am doing i am taking each file and doing some processing. But with this even the unwanted directory name also comes in the listing.Can anyone help?

-Thnks
    RTAM

Hi,
    Thanks for the prompt reply but both the find commands specified by you give a listing of files even of the subdirectory. That is the command gives files from main directory A as well as from the sub-dir B while i want to get files only from A and not look at the sub-directory at all.

Please suggest,
    RTAM

Originally posted by stevetucknott
    Try using the find command.
    ie find . -type f -exec ls -l {} \;
    should list the files in the current directory in long format
    find . -type f -print
    just lists the file names. Check the man pages for other options.

That's no problem - the find command (depending on the Unix/Linux variant) normally has an option to say at what level you want to perform the search. On my Linux box (Redhat 8) the parameter is
    -maxdepth
    so in my case the command to restrict the search to the current directory is:

find top_level_directory -maxdepth 0 -type f -print .........

Under SCO, the command is different (-level from recollection, but I'm old so don't quote me on that!) - man pages should tell you.
    There are other good usable features such as -newer (finds files / directories newer that the specified file) -mount (only look in the specified file system) -size (files larger than)....... take a look.

Good luck,

Steve
    Originally posted by RTAM
    Hi,
    Thanks for the prompt reply but both the find commands specified by you give a listing of files even of the subdirectory. That is the command gives files from main directory A as well as from the sub-dir B while i want to get files only from A and not look at the sub-directory at all.

Please suggest,
    RTAM

Hi RTAM

You may have problems finding an equivalent to '-maxdepth' in find, depending on your UNIX flavour.

Try:

ls -l | grep -v "^[d]" # long listing

or

ls -l | grep -v "^[d]" | awk '{print $9}' # filenames only

The commands run OK on HP-UX, AIX and Tru64

regards

Jack

Hi RTAM

Try with

for f in *
    do
    test -d $f && continue