Unanswered: Sybase ASE 11.9.2.6 on Red Hat 9 - ouch

Have just upgraded from Red Hat 8 to Red Hat 9 and have run into some problems that have got me stumped.

i'm getting the following errors now after the upgrade:

/opt/sybase//lib/libsybdb.a(dbcursut.o)(.text+0xbb): In function `db__crs_search_phrase':
    : undefined reference to `__ctype_tolower'
    /opt/sybase//lib/libsybdb.a(dbcursut.o)(.text+0x110): In function `db__crs_search_phrase':
    : undefined reference to `__ctype_tolower'
    /opt/sybase//lib/libsybdb.a(intslist.o)(.text+0x17e): In function `intl__strblist':
    : undefined reference to `__ctype_b'
    /opt/sybase//lib/libsybdb.a(intnent.o)(.text+0xbf): In function `intl_nextentry':
    /opt/sybase//lib/libsybdb.a(intnent.o)(.text+0x113): In function `intl_nextentry':
    /opt/sybase//lib/libsybdb.a(intnent.o)(.text+0x1b6): In function `intl_nextentry':
    /opt/sybase//lib/libsybdb.a(intnval.o)(.text+0x429): In function `intl_nextvalue':
    /opt/sybase//lib/libsybdb.a(intnval.o)(.text+0x453): more undefined references to `__ctype_b' follow
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The only thing thats changes is the OS. Nothing in Sybase changed.

Anyone got any ideas whats going on.
    I know this is all a bit vague - sorry.

Re: Sybase ASE 11.9.2.6 on Red Hat 9 - ouch

I knew I'd forget something.

Sybase is running fine. This is when we try to link an application under RH9. The source hasn't changed. Not really sure what has thats causing this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,

I think you should recompile your application and it would work fine...

try,
    db_mate

Exclamation

Thanks for the suggestion, but thats where we get the error. The application fails to link to the Sybase libraries (libsybdb.a).

Not 100% sure, but it appears to be the new version of glibc that comes with Red Hat 9. You can't remove it as the kernel seems to need it.
    I've reverted to Red Hat 8 and all is well again.

Looks like 11.9.2.x and Red Hat 9 is a no go.
    I've seen similar discussions in other forums concerning Sybase 12.5 not working well with RH9. Advice there seems to be don't use RH9 and Sybase.

Yes, RH9 is not supported. We updated our 7.2 boxen to 8 and found the same problems so we rolled back.

Other than being 'bleeding edge' there is no real reason to stray from the supported versions. Most, if not all, security patches are equally valid on all versions, the stable kernel is the same (2.4.x), there are some memory management improvements but you can implement them yourself: only glibc et al are changed.
    Thanks,

Matt