Thread: Alter Table

Unanswered: Alter Table

I'm trying to alter a column in a table defined with the IDENTITY attribute to SET GENERATED BY DEFAULT. IBM provides a beautifully written article at http://www7b.boulder.ibm.com/dmdd/li...fielding.html. The problem is I can't get it to work. I'm using version 7.2 on XP. I get the following from COMMAND CENTER:

------------------------------ Command Entered ------------------------------
    alter table A_TABLE alter column DESCR set generated by default

DB21034E The command was processed as an SQL statement because it was not a valid Command Line Processor command. During SQL processing it returned: SQL0104N An unexpected token "generated by default" was found following "er column DESCR set". Expected tokens may include: "<space>". SQLSTATE=42601

Does anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, after the creation of tables the properties of columns cannot be altered. You can alter some properties of table such adding column, primary key, foreign etc. Refer to SQL Guide it may help and also the GUI tool in altering tables.

regards

Thanks for the response. It certainly cannot be accomplished thru DB2's GUI. From that perspective one wonders why ALTER is even a menu item. However, if you visit the link that I provided it definitely says it can be done. I've also read elsewhere that it is possible to do. I was just wondering if there was someone out there in a real life situation using V7.2 that managed to do it.

Thanks.