Unanswered: Encripting a field in a table

I have inherited a database program that has a table for usernames and passwords. Unfortunetly, I must give certain users read only access to the SQL tables. Therefore, the Usernames and the passwords can be viewed. Question isw there a way of encripting this field so that it can't be read?

Thanks in advance!!!

not sure i understand the question? You need to give users access to read the data in the table, but you want the data encrypted so it can't be read?

The SQL DB is the backend and the Front end is a VBA program. I have to give certian users direct access to the tables (backend). I want to still be able to use the user/password table when users access the front end but I want to prevent users from viewing the passwords while they are accessing the tables directly from the SQL DB.

Re: Encripting a field in a table

Hi,

you can use pwdencrypt sql function., but there are certain thing u have to keep in mind..

The field should be nvarchar.
    u cannt unencrypt the string after encrypting it.

select pwdencrypt('abc')

this is how u can compare 2 strings -
    select pwdcompare('abc',pwdencrypt('abc'))
    1 for true
    0 for false.

hope this will help u.
    Cheers
    Gola munjal

Originally posted by Chumpie999typla
    I have inherited a database program that has a table for usernames and passwords. Unfortunetly, I must give certain users read only access to the SQL tables. Therefore, the Usernames and the passwords can be viewed. Question isw there a way of encripting this field so that it can't be read?

Thanks in advance!!!