Thread: Error in logs

Unanswered: Error in logs

Hai ,

I am having a database on linux box and geting the following error in my db2diag.log

2003-04-10-20.26.25.034755 Instance:db2inst1 Node:000
    PID:8457(db2pclnr) Appid:none
    buffer_pool_services sqlbWritePageToContainer Probe:20

SMS Tablespace 1(TEMPSPACE1) is FULL or file is too large (at OS or user limit).
    Detected on Container 0. ContPage= 186974 Obj=3 Type=128

How does the SMS tablespace become out of space.

regards,
    micky

Re: Error in logs

mmm .... The filesystem may be full ... or any of the files in your SMS container would have reached the OS set filesize limit (it is usually 2Gig for a 32 bit Unix) ... If a temp table (which is stored as a file in SMS) has grown beyond this OS limit, you will get this error ....

Multiple containers for the temp space should help ... or better, tune your query ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by mickykt
    Hai ,

I am having a database on linux box and geting the following error in my db2diag.log

2003-04-10-20.26.25.034755 Instance:db2inst1 Node:000
    PID:8457(db2pclnr) Appid:none
    buffer_pool_services sqlbWritePageToContainer Probe:20

SMS Tablespace 1(TEMPSPACE1) is FULL or file is too large (at OS or user limit).
    Detected on Container 0. ContPage= 186974 Obj=3 Type=128

How does the SMS tablespace become out of space.

regards,
    micky

Hai

I have 3 databases altogether on this server and do not know which database's temp file is full.Is this a serious issue because it is the temp tablespace.How can i find whether the container would have reached OS file size (is the some way in linux to find this).How can i Add multiple containers for SMS tablespace.

Sorry for asking too many questions together,i am a bit excited since i am new to work on linux.

Thanks for all help

regards,
    micky

mmm .... The filesystem may be full ... or any of the files in your SMS container would have reached the OS set filesize limit (it is usually 2Gig for a 32 bit Unix) ... If a temp table (which is stored as a file in SMS) has grown beyond this OS limit, you will get this error ....

Multiple containers for the temp space should help ... or better, tune your query ...

Cheers

Sathyaram [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

If you're sharing file systems among the databases, it will be hard to tell. If not, then the culprit is in your error message:

SMS Tablespace 1(TEMPSPACE1)

Basically, if you can repeat the operation that was occurring at the time, you can run df -k to watcht the file system fill up, or cd to the tempspace directory and watch a particular file get bigger.

As the last note said though, the real solution is to add a container. It could even be in the same file system. So you wouldn't actually be adding more space, just making more of it available for use.

So, if your current container is '/database/temp'
    you could create '/database/temp2' and add that container to the tablespace. That makes another 2 GB file available to whatever process needed that much temp space.

hai,
    In the previous message it does not specifiy which database's temp tablespace is full.How to find that.Is it enough i add a second temptablespace instead of adding a second container to the same tablespace.
    My another question is when i create the second tempspace will the operations automatically take the second temptablespace or should i direct it to Usertablespace1 to use tempspace2.How to do this?

Thanks in advance
    micky

The optimizer chooses which temp tablespace to use on it's own, based on page size and space available. It definitely won't use more than one tempspace for a single operation. I don't think there is anything to gain by having more than one tempspace of a particular page size. So, for instance, if you want more tempspace with 4 K pages, I recommend simply adding containers to the default--provided of course they are the same size, since, with SMS, once you fill one container up, the tablespace is considered full.

Which database ? I can't think of any db2 method to identify it ( A shame if it cannot be found the db2 way) , but I will be looking at the application errors ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by mickykt
    hai,
    In the previous message it does not specifiy which database's temp tablespace is full.How to find that.Is it enough i add a second temptablespace instead of adding a second container to the same tablespace.
    My another question is when i create the second tempspace will the operations automatically take the second temptablespace or should i direct it to Usertablespace1 to use tempspace2.How to do this?

Thanks in advance
    micky

I know on aix you have user limits that are defined, and that user limit the the db2id has to be set to -1 to make it unlimited(AIX parm). I'm not sure if you have the same thing on LINUX, but think is should.

You cannot add containers to an SMS tablespace on a node on which the tablespace already exists.

Create another tempspace with 2 containers on two disks and drop the first one.

It sounds like the databases which share the filesystems are also in the same instance. I'm wondering, when you're seeing the error in the diag, it usually specifies both instance and database for which the error occurs.