Question Unanswered: select rows with conditions

Hello Everyone

I have a problem with DB2 : I can't find a way to make a select with conditional statement on the result. The fact is that there are two columns type1 and type2 in my table.

I would like, in one query, to select the rows with type1=0 and type2=100, and, if the set of rows is empty (and only in this case), to select the rows with type1=1 and type2=100, and, if the set is empty too (and only in this case), to select the rows with type1=3 and type2=0.

I can't see a way to use a UNION or even a ((type1=0 and type2=100) or (type1=1 and type2=100) or (type1=3 and type2=0) with a group by to have, at the end, only the first set of rows that is not empty among these three conditions.

One solution could be to make the first query, fetch it, and, if the result is empty, the second, and, if it is empty, the third, but I would really appreciate a way to do it in one signle query.

Thanks very much for your help.

Simon

Provided Answers: 5
    Simon,
    Personally, I would probably do this as a stored procedure, where it would be simple enough to code and would run with minimal impact on performance.

But if you truly want to do it as a query you could try something like this

select columns from table where
    ((1,100) in (select type1,type2 from table))
    or
    (((1,100) NOT IN (select type1,type2 from table)) and ((1,100) IN (select type1,type2 from table)) )
    or
    (((1,100) NOT IN (select type1,type2 from table)) and ((1,100) NOT IN (select type1,type2 from table)) and ((3,0) IN (select type1,type2 from table)))

HTH

Andy

Thumbs up

Hello Andy

It seems to work exactly the way I need. Thanks very much for your help !!

See you

Simon

Provided Answers: 5
    How is the performance?

Andy

Originally posted by technique
    Hello Andy

It seems to work exactly the way I need. Thanks very much for your help !!

See you

Simon

So far, not that bad, since the table is rather small...

See you

Simon