Question Unanswered: Disk or Network error - Access97 - Please Help!

I'm having a problem with a database in Access97, running on a network with 3 workstations and 1 server. From time to time an error "3043. Disk or network error" appears at different places of the code, and after it the only exit is to kill Access as process and restart the workstation, the current operations may or may be not updated at the database on the server, there have been cases with the database file being corrupt. I have tried reinstalling Windows (98) on the workstations and on the server, even upgraded the server to WinXP, but the problem still occurs. During these errors, the LAN seems fully functional for internet access, file transfer and other applications.
    In the WindowsXP event log on the server, the occurance of this error is indicated with log of type "Error. SRV. Incorrectly formatted request from //ComputerName"
    Does anyone have an idea what can I do to workaround this problem? Maybe upgrading to AccessXP, or changing the architecture of the database application?
    Or the problem is just hardware - may be small network timeouts, which the other applications ignore, but Access is sensitive to it?

Re: Disk or Network error - Access97 - Please Help!

Originally posted by Ross
    I'm having a problem with a database in Access97, running on a network with 3 workstations and 1 server. From time to time an error "3043. Disk or network error" appears at different places of the code, and after it the only exit is to kill Access as process and restart the workstation, the current operations may or may be not updated at the database on the server, there have been cases with the database file being corrupt. I have tried reinstalling Windows (98) on the workstations and on the server, even upgraded the server to WinXP, but the problem still occurs. During these errors, the LAN seems fully functional for internet access, file transfer and other applications.
    In the WindowsXP event log on the server, the occurance of this error is indicated with log of type "Error. SRV. Incorrectly formatted request from //ComputerName"
    Does anyone have an idea what can I do to workaround this problem? Maybe upgrading to AccessXP, or changing the architecture of the database application?
    Or the problem is just hardware - may be small network timeouts, which the other applications ignore, but Access is sensitive to it?
    According to MS it either has to do with not being able to find the C:\temp subdirectory or defining the location of the database in DOA.

If the problem began after putting XP on the server, I would check that everyone has permission to c:\temp. Data entry opens a temporary file in that directory. If it looses track it will bail. I have had it happen in 2000 but not 97.

The other possibility is DOA
    check to see that the set below is used rather than
    database.workspace(0)...

dim db as database
    set db = currentdb()

another possibility at the end of each routine end your set variables

rs.close
    db.close
    set rs = nothing
    set db = nothing

Been there. Hope it helps.

Thanx, Robt.
    About the temp locations, do you mean that I must ensure the workstations to have access to the server's temp folder (because I'm sure they have environment vars pointing to valid temp folder on their local drives).
    The problem did not erupt with the XP, it was happening even before, while both the workstations and the server were running Win98.
    About the code, in fact I often use code like:
    Dim rst as Recordset
    Set rst=CurrentDB.OpenRecordset(anything)
    rst.Close
    Really, I do not set rst to Nothing, neither I use separate database object variable set to CurrentDB.
    I will try changing this, but the weird with this problem is, that I have another application which is absolutely the same in architecture and in coding (just a slight changes in some tables), and it runs perfectly at another office for more than 2 years, being used simultaneously from at least 5 users. While this one is installed for half a year and it gives this error at least twice a week, and most of the time only one user has the database open.

Originally posted by Ross
    Thanx, Robt.
    About the temp locations, do you mean that I must ensure the workstations to have access to the server's temp folder (because I'm sure they have environment vars pointing to valid temp folder on their local drives).
    The problem did not erupt with the XP, it was happening even before, while both the workstations and the server were running Win98.
    About the code, in fact I often use code like:
    Dim rst as Recordset
    Set rst=CurrentDB.OpenRecordset(anything)
    rst.Close
    Really, I do not set rst to Nothing, neither I use separate database object variable set to CurrentDB.
    I will try changing this, but the weird with this problem is, that I have another application which is absolutely the same in architecture and in coding (just a slight changes in some tables), and it runs perfectly at another office for more than 2 years, being used simultaneously from at least 5 users. While this one is installed for half a year and it gives this error at least twice a week, and most of the time only one user has the database open.
    I thought of something in the middle of the night which is usually a good thing.

Check to see if SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP and SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP are in the autoexec.bat file. You may want to try putting C:\WINDOWS\TEMP and C:\TEMP in your PATH. I remember the temporary files as being in C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, however, MS only comments on C:\TEMP in their notes. Nothing is lost to put both in.

If you still have access to the stable system, you might look at other root setup differences in the two systems.

Thank you, I will try this tomorrow.

Meanwhile I have corrected the code to explicitly set object variables to 'Nothing', and I've also split the application to front end/back end. It was originally a 5 MB database, now it is 1 MB on the back end and 4 MB on the front end. I hope that this way the network traffic should be reduced much, and combined with the other things changed according to MS, it will become stable.

If the error still occurs, I think there's nothing left, except to physically replace the NICs and the hub, but sure my customers won't be too happy with this.