Unanswered: Collation Sequence questions

Hi,

i have several questions about collation sequence i hope you guys will be able to help me with.

First :
    If i have a collaction, let's say French_BIN ou SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, how do i know how to understand it ? I mean, is it Case Sensitive, Binary sort, Which page code, ... ?

Second :
    I have 2 Databases. One using a collation X another using a collation Y.
    I want to export the tables (data + keys) from one Database to another.
    As far as i've noticed, not only tables are exported, but so is the collation. The result ? The two Databases appear to be using collation X. Am i missing something ?

1. For French collation the code page is default 1252, refer to books online for more information.

BOL refers SQL Server supports having multiple, language-specific copies of the error messages stored in master.dbo.sysmessages. All instances of SQL Server contain the set of English messages. SQL Server is localized, or translated, into French, German, Spanish, and Japanese versions. Installations of localized versions of SQL Server install the translated set of messages in addition to the English set. When SQL Server sends a message to a connection, it uses the localized message if the language ID of the connection matches one of the language IDs present in sysmessages. If there is no message in sysmessages with the same language ID, the English version of the message is sent.

1988-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

2. From SQL 2000 you can have column/table/database wide collation settings. So if you export the X collation to a Y collation database, only exported table will have X collation but not on database. Still it permits Y collation on database level, but X collation on table level.

Refer to books online for all kind of information about Collations.

HTH
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

How can I transform the collation of an exported base?
    In the properties,we don't have any more access to the list of collation,

In SQL 2K you can change collation by using ALTER DATABASE... ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN on the database.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

How can I make the tables inherit of the database properties when I make an alter database?

If you affect the collation to DATABASE level, the new data will be affected but not the existing data. To do so you should use ALTER TABLE to do on table level.

Do refer to Books online for COLLATION and other information.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

thanks for all