Unanswered: How To Configure Eee In Hacmp In Solaris

Hi All,
    We are planning to install and configure db2 EEE HACMP on soloris OS with single server, what i think is db2 EEE HACMP needs with 2 server machines to take over the failure one.I want to know is it possible to have db2 EEE hacmp in single server node instead of 2, if we have like this what is disadvantage and advantage for us.
    If some one help in this it will be appreciate.
    thanks,
    muthu

Re: How To Configure Eee In Hacmp In Solaris

As far as my understanding goes, there is no HA concept defined by EEE .... EEE(or EE) uses the clustering capabilities of the server ... For clustering capabilites of the server, I can quote HACMP, Sun Clusters, Veritas Clusters etc available for different operating environments as examples... These clustering solutions, in addition to hardware, provide appln failovers also ... and for these software, DB2 is just another application ... So, if the application(db2 here) fails, they can provide a means of running it at a different location ....

Applying this understanding to your question, I'll say that it depends on the capabilites of your Cluster Solution .... If your cluster solution will allow failover of applications within the same machine(which I doubt), then you can use just that 1 machine ....

mmm ... Comments from others ?

Originally posted by nmkumaran
    Hi All,
    We are planning to install and configure db2 EEE HACMP on soloris OS with single server, what i think is db2 EEE HACMP needs with 2 server machines to take over the failure one.I want to know is it possible to have db2 EEE hacmp in single server node instead of 2, if we have like this what is disadvantage and advantage for us.
    If some one help in this it will be appreciate.
    thanks,
    muthu

Angry Re: How To Configure Eee In Hacmp In Solaris

Thanks a lot for responding immediately.
    My Scenerio is we got solaris 6800 server with 24CPU's and we dont have any cluster service software and our plan is to use EEE in 16 cpu's for one database partition server called primary server andd other 4 cpu's for non partitioned server called standby and these each may have each separate instance, in any case if primary one fails then secondary(standby) one should take over the failure primary, we plan to have logshipping to secondary(standby).
    In this situation we need to give high availability without clusters.
    How to provide?
    Is it possible to have one database partition and other same database without partition in EEE.
    If anyone helps for this situation, if would really help ful for me.
    Thanks,
    muthu

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    As far as my understanding goes, there is no HA concept defined by EEE .... EEE(or EE) uses the clustering capabilities of the server ... For clustering capabilites of the server, I can quote HACMP, Sun Clusters, Veritas Clusters etc available for different operating environments as examples... These clustering solutions, in addition to hardware, provide appln failovers also ... and for these software, DB2 is just another application ... So, if the application(db2 here) fails, they can provide a means of running it at a different location ....

Applying this understanding to your question, I'll say that it depends on the capabilites of your Cluster Solution .... If your cluster solution will allow failover of applications within the same machine(which I doubt), then you can use just that 1 machine ....

Angry Re: How To Configure Eee In Hacmp In Solaris

Thanks a lot for responding immediately.
    My Scenerio is we got solaris 6800 server with 24CPU's and we dont have any cluster service software and our plan is to use EEE in 16 cpu's for one database partition server called primary server andd other 4 cpu's for non partitioned server called standby and these each may have each separate instance, in any case if primary one fails then secondary(standby) one should take over the failure primary, we plan to have logshipping to secondary(standby).
    In this situation we need to give high availability without clusters.
    How to provide?
    Is it possible to have one database partition and other same database without partition in EEE.
    If anyone helps for this situation, if would really help ful for me.
    Thanks,
    muthu

Originally posted by sathyaram_s