Thread: ProperCase

Unanswered: ProperCase

I understand how to get text converted to ProperCase. But here is the problem I am having. I have Proper Case to only update if all letters are upper or low case. But when someone uses an address like RR1 or PO Box 10, propercase coding is changing it to Rr1 and Po Box 10 and I need for it to stay RR1 or PO Box 10. This is also true for Proper Names as in James Bond II after the coding runs it changes to James Bond Ii. Any ideas??

Re: ProperCase

Originally posted by bvenatta
    I understand how to get text converted to ProperCase. But here is the problem I am having. I have Proper Case to only update if all letters are upper or low case. But when someone uses an address like RR1 or PO Box 10, propercase coding is changing it to Rr1 and Po Box 10 and I need for it to stay RR1 or PO Box 10. This is also true for Proper Names as in James Bond II after the coding runs it changes to James Bond Ii. Any ideas??
    This is not the answer you wanted. There is no easy answer. Couple of suggestions.

Do a first pass ProperCase update only. Once the field has text, edits will be literal.

Trap for first character on address for "P" and "R" and auto enter "PO Box " or "Rural Route " and skip ProperCase update.

Make Suffixes i.e. II, JR, DR, PhD. etc. a picklist field and add to last name.

I am guessing that the you have low skilled operators and are looking for a professional looking output. My suggestion is to set up a review process for all records by a very detailed oriented data processor to correct errors. These concerns are just the beginning. I've worked with TeleMarketers, who's only mission in life seemed to torture the mail room people.

If you are working with typists they rarely need the help and often find auto-correction programming annoying.

You may want to check out 3rd party address correction software. It will decrease returns significantly.