Unanswered: How to remove forwarded_rows faults from a table

Hi,

I am running ASE 12.0.0.4 and I have a DOL table that when I run sp_dbcc_runcheck (i.e. dbcc checkstorage and dbcc dbverify), i get 100037 faults, i.e. forwarded_rows, on my table.

I run reorg forwarded_rows on the table but when I rerun my dbcc checks the forwarded_row fault still reside on the same pages on my DOL table.

I am wondering would I need to do a reorg rebuild on the table to remedy this problem? Or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hiya,

Every checkstorage fault has an equivalent ASE error message. You should take action as recommended in the Error Messages Guide for that ASE Error Message.

ASE Error Messages Guide includes the matrix that maps checkstorage errors to ASE error messages.

Cheers
    Willy

Originally posted by willy_and_the_ci
    Hiya,

Every checkstorage fault has an equivalent ASE error message. You should take action as recommended in the Error Messages Guide for that ASE Error Message.

ASE Error Messages Guide includes the matrix that maps checkstorage errors to ASE error messages.

Cheers
    Willy
    Hi,

There is no entry in the ASE Error messages guide for dbcc fault 100037.

Regards,

Mark
    Mark Sheehan,
    Senior Sybase DBA

Originally posted by msheehan
    Hi,

There is no entry in the ASE Error messages guide for dbcc fault 100037.

Regards,

Mark
    You should be able to find it in CHAPTER "Encyclopedia of Tasks", sub-CHAPTERS "How to Analyze dbcc checkstorage Faults", then "Fault Analysis". The manual's suggestion is to reorg, what you did.
    Maybe reorg rebuild does clear those problems.

Let me add some remarks about tables with datarows locking scheme (aka Row Level Locking, RLL). We're using ASE 12.0.0.5, and have few RLL tables; most are classical APL tables. Even though RLL tables are a minority, most faults reported by our weekly dbcc checkstorage come from them. We are exhausted of worrying every Monday about suspected errors in our data. Sybase ought to do something about; customers (as we) may worry about relying on RLL tables, which aren't nowadays a recent ASE feature (they were introducing in 11.9, IIRC).

I admit we've got no real corruption yet. That is, those checkstorage faults must be inconsistencies which don't compromise data integrity. But we would be much happier getting clean checkstorage reports every week. Mondays alone are already a pain without them.

Regards,
    Mariano Corral

Guys,

Just to let you know that 'reorg compact' got rid of the forwarded_row faults for me.

Regards,

Mark
    Mark Sheehan,
    Senior Sybase DBA