Unanswered: Performance Monitor of DB2

Hai all,
    I have started using performance monitor of Db2.I need to get the max no of connections to my database manager since i need to assign the size of the db connection pool size.But after starting the monitor the max no of connections were 24 and after i closed it(did not stop) and reopened it after some time the max connections were 15.Is there a way i can save the value to a file so i can continuosly monitor for a full week.I cannot keep it open since i connect through pc anywhere and the system admini has also to access the same machine.

I would like to get a way so that i can sve the value to a file and read it later as in the performance monitor in Windows.

Thanks in advance,

micky

Re: Performance Monitor of DB2

If you issue the following command:

db2 get snapshot for database on <dbname>

here one of the line is like this:

High water mark for connections = 15

So, I think you can use the value for this counter to adjust your connection pool size. Please note that your value might be different (just making sure...)

Hope this helps

dollar

Originally posted by mickykt
    Hai all,
    I have started using performance monitor of Db2.I need to get the max no of connections to my database manager since i need to assign the size of the db connection pool size.But after starting the monitor the max no of connections were 24 and after i closed it(did not stop) and reopened it after some time the max connections were 15.Is there a way i can save the value to a file so i can continuosly monitor for a full week.I cannot keep it open since i connect through pc anywhere and the system admini has also to access the same machine.

I would like to get a way so that i can sve the value to a file and read it later as in the performance monitor in Windows.

Thanks in advance,

micky

Hai,
    The snapshot is for a particular time ,can i continuosly keep tracking the max connections for a full day.

Thanks for the help

micky

There are certain elements in the snapshot which are cumulative ...

All high watermarks are cumulative .(high watermark for connections, high watermark for package cache etc...

This element of the database monitor shows the high watermark of the connections since the first connect ..... But, remember, if all connections are lost, then the highwatermark value is also lost ....

Another example of cumulative elements are elements related to bufferpools ....

Hai,
    The snapshot is for a particular time ,can i continuosly keep tracking the max connections for a full day.

Thanks for the help

micky

hai all,

Thank you very much for the information.

When i took the snapshot i got some values Not Collected .why is this so and how can i collect these values.For one database all the values vernot collected.

Also what is the failed statements and is there a way to find which all statments failed.

Regards,
    micky

For some counters values are not collected because their switches are not turned on. You can check the status using:

db2 get monitor switches

You will find some the switches are turned off, you can turn them on using the following format:

db2 update monitor switches using <switch name> on

dollar

hai all,

When i took the snapshot i got some values Not Collected .why is this so and how can i collect these values.For one database all the values vernot collected.

Also what is the failed statements and is there a way to find which all statments failed.

Regards,
    micky

To know about the failed statements and the error code associated with it., use event monitoring

Sathyaram

hai all,

Regards,
    micky

hai,

How will i recognise whether a statement has failed or not,using the output file of my statement monitor.

regards,
    micky

I do not have the exact details on top of my head ...

But, the last time I used it to identify which statement within a stored procedure caused the failure of the procedure .... I could see the sqlcode/sqlstate in the output ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

hai,

How will i recognise whether a statement has failed or not,using the output file of my statement monitor.

regards,
    micky

You should rememeber that settings for monitor switches are not global, they belong to your session, so basically if you turn on monitor switch and then reattach you monitor will be off (reset to default state)

I think one of the ways to capture failed SQL statements in to increase diagnostic level to 4

and as self-advertisement - you can use my db2mon for monotoring, I think it's rather convinient and it's free
    http://chuzhoi_files.tripod.com

Hai
    I have downloaded ur perfmon but how to include it and make it run.where should i place it on my windows client machine,which is used to connect to the server.

Thanks in advance
    micky

Copy the dlls to the c:\winnt directory and run the executable

Cheers

Sathyaram

Hai
    I have downloaded ur perfmon but how to include it and make it run.where should i place it on my windows client machine,which is used to connect to the server.

Thanks in advance
    micky

Hai

I downloaded 2 file from the site give above.

db2mon (not an executable)
    db2mon.dll

Which is the executable i must run.Is it the performance monitor of DB2 itself.

Thanks

micky

Hai

Soory got the executable

thankx

micky