Unanswered: problem with admin server

I have a problem with the admin server. It says that it already exist when I try to create it, I have tried to drop it and it says it doesn't exist. I have also tried to catalog & uncatalog it. I have even uninstalled DB2. I have also deleted the SQL0001 directory under the admin directory hoping to clean up any config files. This is on DB2 v7.2 AIX 5.1. Any ideals this has been going on for over a week. All help greatly appreciated. Just a note I have run the dasicrt and dasidrop command 100s of times, to no avail.

Re: problem with admin server

I assume from what you say that the dasidrop command returns the message about it not existing. If that's the case, I would make sure that user doesn't own any processes. Try a db2admin stop, or just kill them. Then delete the entire contents of the home directory under the db2admin user, or at least the obvious db2 stuff.

This assumes of course that there is nothing you want to save in there. Ideally, I would suggest dropping the user altogether and either recreating it, or maybe better still, creating a new user for the admin server. None of this should effect your data instances.

Re: problem with admin server

Or could be it has 'traces' of the admin server in

/var/db2/profiles.reg

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by browen
    I assume from what you say that the dasidrop command returns the message about it not existing. If that's the case, I would make sure that user doesn't own any processes. Try a db2admin stop, or just kill them. Then delete the entire contents of the home directory under the db2admin user, or at least the obvious db2 stuff.

This assumes of course that there is nothing you want to save in there. Ideally, I would suggest dropping the user altogether and either recreating it, or maybe better still, creating a new user for the admin server. None of this should effect your data instances.

Here are the steps I have taken to clean this up.

1) issued drop database
    ( failed said it was available)
    2) Catalog db
    ( worked)
    3) issued drop databases
    ( gets an I/O error
    4) dbadmin stop
    ( works)
    5) dasidrop db2as
    (works)
    6) dasicrt db2as
    ( works)
    7) Create db,
    ( fails says it already exists)
    8) uncatalog
    ( fails, it not there)
    9) Uninstall DB2 totatly
    (works)
    10) re-install db2
    11) steps 6 & 7
    ( fails says it already exist)

Anybody have any other ideals

I'm afraid you lost me with the create database steps. If you are trying to get rid of a database, that has nothing to do with the admin server. To get rid of a database in the state you are describing (can't be created, can't be dropped) you need to delete the database directory.

None of this is supported to my knowledge, but I have done it before when I got the database into an odd state--interrupting a restore, for instance, sometimes leaves things in a state db2 can't seem to clean up.

This is safe only if it is the only database in that directory, preferably the only one in the instance. If you created it in the default location, (Instance home) look for a directory called sqldbdir, under the directory named for the instance in instance home. For example, a database in the default location for db2inst1:

/home/db2inst1/db2inst1/NODE0000/sqldbdir

Getting rid of that directory will delete the entry for any databases cataloged there.

If it's cataloged externally, on /databases for instance, it would look like:

/databases/db2inst1/NODE0000/sqldbdir.

There is a system database directory as well, under sqllib.