Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: database engine could not lock table 'DIVISION' because it is already in use by

Hi guys, I was wondering if you guys can help me with a problem I been having.

I get the following message when i clicked on a button:

"database engine could not lock table 'DIVISION' because it is already in use by another person or process"

The form has a combo box that has a list to select from , from the division table. When I click on a button that does require the division table, it gave me the above message. Is there a way for me to fix this. or a way for me to copy what was on that field and than for it to close the requery that listed the certain division I wanted listed.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

sopheapteng
    Last edited by sopheapteng; 04-24-03 at 10:17.

Can Someone help me with this: database engine could not lock table

"database engine could not lock table 'DIVISION' because it is already in use by another person or process"

The form has a combo box that has a list to select from , from the division table. When I click on a button that does require the division table, it gave me the above message. Is there a way for me to fix this. or a way for me to copy what was on that field and than for it to close the requery that listed the certain division I wanted listed.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

sopheapteng

Re: Can Someone help me with this: database engine could not lock table

Originally posted by sopheapteng

make sure the table is not open. and try that..
    Sometimes when access tries to change the data in table and u try to ask it to do another process then it gives this error message.
    So make sure table is not open in datasheet view.
    hope this helps.

sopheapteng

make sure the table is not open. and try that..
    Sometimes when access tries to change the data in table and u try to ask it to do another process then it gives this error message.
    So make sure table is not open in datasheet view.
    hope this helps.

I wish it was that easy but i closed all m y forms and there are no table sopen and it kept saying my "OPS" table is open and I can't modified it, just read only. what's so weird is, the button in that form that i had open isn't pointing to the table

thanks for your response

Please read my attachment. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do you have any 'hidden' forms ?

Michael

Thanks for the response,

Yes I had hidden forms open that I didn't know. Could you explain how i can lock those form that has combo box link to the table so I can open my report? I have multiple user using the system and if someone has a form that won't allow other user to one this one report than I'm doing something really wrong here. If you can help me figure out out to lock the form or table that is being used when it's open, that would be great.

Thanks for the help everyone

Replicate....

Someone I know was having same trouble one time. All we did created a new database and import all the tables, forms, query etc. (do relationship if u have to). OR copy and paste the old database to a new database in explore and call the old database backup or something. And start using the new database.

IT WORKED FOR THE POOR GUY. You may want to try both method and see which one helps you.

Doran....

Thanks for your help Doran, I will give that a try.

Re: Replicate....

Originally posted by doran_doran
    Someone I know was having same trouble one time. All we did created a new database and import all the tables, forms, query etc. (do relationship if u have to). OR copy and paste the old database to a new database in explore and call the old database backup or something. And start using the new database.

IT WORKED FOR THE POOR GUY. You may want to try both method and see which one helps you.

Doran....
    I tried that and neither of them worked how can i lock the stupid combo list when it is open. i tried using refresh and it worked on some form but it actually opens it or hide it somehow. i think i just should shoot myself

Try using query then combo box.

instead of linking to table directly, you can make a query out of that table and use that query. sometime it work. it like accessing data from backdoor.

Talking

I tried that but it won't work.

I actually figured out what was going on. In all the report, we shouldn't allow record lock on the report. when I told it that, my report opens fine. Thanks for everyone's help and have a nice weekend

'Division' lock problem

Just make sure that your data types in the tables are the same, i.e. Text to text, currency to current etc.

Quick confirmation and possibly clarification: I had the same vexing "could not lock" error in a macro that included a delete records step followed by a RunSavedImportExport step. I could step through it without problems; but if I tried to run the macro completely, I'd get the error, even if the macro included a step to close the form that touched the table and even if using a query instead of the table. The solution was to set the Record Locks on the form to "All Records," which sounds slightly different than sopheapteng's advice; but it did the trick. Glad I read about this here!