Thread: oldValue Help

Unanswered: oldValue Help

i'm probably being really dense, but it's the end of a very long day and I can't work out why this is not working (that i'm i'm not very good at vba!). Can anyone please tell me why the following code does not work?

If ctl.OldValue = Null Then
    Mgmt = ""
    Else
    Mgmt = ctl.OldValue
    End If

wher mgmt is a string i want to save the old value of the control into and ctl is a control on a form - if it is not null (as it won't let me save a null into a string). This code doen't recognise if the ctl.oldvalue is null. why is this?

thanks, em.xx

Re: oldValue Help

Originally posted by emma_com
    i'm probably being really dense, but it's the end of a very long day and I can't work out why this is not working (that i'm i'm not very good at vba!). Can anyone please tell me why the following code does not work?

If ctl.OldValue = Null Then
    Mgmt = ""
    Else
    Mgmt = ctl.OldValue
    End If

wher mgmt is a string i want to save the old value of the control into and ctl is a control on a form - if it is not null (as it won't let me save a null into a string). This code doen't recognise if the ctl.oldvalue is null. why is this?

thanks, em.xx
    try using any or part of these:

If isnull(ctl.OldValue) or len(trim(ctl.oldvalue)) = 0 or ctl.OldValue = "" Then

thanks, the isnull(ctl.oldvalue) worked.